Renoise tracker related topics.

Renoise 2.6 discussion

Renoise 2.6 discussion

Postby organic io » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 pm

I downloaded the 2.6 final demo for Linux tonight, and I'm really impressed with it. The dssi support means I can use the dssi-vst wrapper to have Windows vst's straight inside the Linux Renoise. It seems to work really well!

I was checking out some of the user created tools...

IT-Alien's custom wave generator is particularly cool and useful:

http://tools.renoise.com/tools/generate-custom-wave

It actually sounds pretty good too. You can apply up to 6 different waveforms on it which leads to lots of kind of oldschool-ish possibilities. Using this feature + draw sample could be a good minicompo theme.

I'm messing with drawing and generating some samples now...

Any more discussion on Renoise 2.6?

Kudos to the team for this accomplishment
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:51 am

Yo Brother, my opinion:

The scripting framework is awesome and pretty stable already.
During my FaderPort driver development it never crashed or sucked.
It had (and probably still has) some minor bugs, but those are more
significant for developers than for end users.

For those who don't know already: I've developed a PreSonus FaderPort driver by using the scripting API. For me it works right now as a great mixing tool and un-expensive digital mixing console replacement. Though it seems that not many Renoise users own a FaderPort, yet.

See: http://code.google.com/p/airmann-faderport-driver/

Manual: http://airmann-faderport-driver.googlec ... al_1_0.pdf

And yeah: please donate ;-) ... I don't believe I will ever receive a cent, but at least the button is there.

Hey Scott: are you interested in testing my XRNX under Linux (just drag and drop it) ? Right now I have no proper Linux environment here. I need to install Ubuntu on a virtual machine or another partition, first.

Any Mac Users out there ?
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:50 am

Airmann wrote:Hey Scott: are you interested in testing my XRNX under Linux (just drag and drop it) ? Right now I have no proper Linux environment here. I need to install Ubuntu on a virtual machine or another partition, first.

Sure thing, no problem... Except I don't have a faderport... Is that a problem? Or do you want me to just install it to make sure it doesn't crash or something? I'll certainly do that. I should have time tonight or this weekend and I'll let you know what happens
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:28 am

When are people going to make more Renoise games? :)

Maybe I should make my upcoming dual stick Chess themed shooter for Renoise? :)

organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Ha ha, dual stick shooter ROCKS. Maybe we can automate it and write KI programs that fight each other ?

organic io wrote:
Airmann wrote:Hey Scott: are you interested in testing my XRNX under Linux (just drag and drop it) ? Right now I have no proper Linux environment here. I need to install Ubuntu on a virtual machine or another partition, first.

Sure thing, no problem... Except I don't have a faderport... Is that a problem? Or do you want me to just install it to make sure it doesn't crash or something? I'll certainly do that. I should have time tonight or this weekend and I'll let you know what happens

That's exactly what needs to be tested and that would be reelly great Scott ! Even if there's no controller connected it should work without pop ups or crashes. But I'm not sure about the naming of the midi ports in Linux. In windows the name for MIDI in/out is "FaderPort". If that's different on linux it could be a prob eventually.

Thanks in advance ... :)

BTW:

... will try to listen to songs if possible. Had just no time so far
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Airmann wrote:Ha ha, dual stick shooter ROCKS. Maybe we can automate it and write KI programs that fight each other ?

:)

It will be a while though. That screenshot is just a mockup :)

Airmann wrote:That's exactly what needs to be tested and that would be reelly great Scott ! Even if there's no controller connected it should work without pop ups or crashes. But I'm not sure about the naming of the midi ports in Linux. In windows the name for MIDI in/out is "FaderPort". If that's different on linux it could be a prob eventually.

I installed it on Linux and it at least shows up in the tool menu with no problem... However there is no mention of it in the MIDI ports, probably because I don't actually have the hardware connected. Here is a screenshot of the MIDI in screen after the faderport driver is installed:

And here is the faderport options in the tools menu:

I hope that gives you at least a little bit of info?

I did a search and happened to find a thread with a little bit about using the faderport hardware with Linux. It is with a different audio program (Ardour), but the general info may still be useful to you:

http://www.ardour.org/node/1354

Let me know if there is anything else I can do or more info you need

Peace
-Scott

P.S... I am watching your faderport video... Did you just say "DAW"??? :shock:

That thing looks pretty useful indeed! It's funny when you make the fader move up and down fast... I wonder how many hours that motor is rated to last? Great job on the driver. I'm sure it will cumulatively save thousands of man-hours of mouse moving and clicking. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:15 am

great Scott, thank you very much and thanks for the link. I will definitely try to setup I Linux environment ASAP to try to configure the midi connection like mentioned for Ardour.

Yes, I said it straight forward "DAW". Is that misleading or wrong ? I heard that native speakers pronounced it like this in some YouTube videos. Nonetheless I could change it if it's necessary

>> Let me know if there is anything else I can do or more info you need

Well, obviously it would be a good thing if a "native speaker" could have a look at the manual / video tutorials. I'm not so much the "multitasking guy", so while controlling the FaderPort it's really hard for me to speak understandable english, and some errors I just don't realize :-).

>That thing looks pretty useful indeed! It's funny when you make the >fader move up and down fast... I wonder how many hours that motor is >rated to last? Great job on the driver. I'm sure it will cumulatively save >thousands of man-hours of mouse moving and clicking

Ha ha, I should write to the health insurance companies for compensation :-)

Well I suppose the motor lasts long (it's built into Digidesign consoles). On the other hand it's a component which can be exchanged, too.

And regarding usefullness: there's also a Reaper driver from Justin Frankel which is pretty similar to mine (though you can't controll dsps with it in Reaper). Means: I use Reaper+Renoise and I mixed some stuff using it. My impression is that the workflow - especially the mixing workflow - really is much more convenient and precise. But let the users decide - if there are any ;-)
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:28 pm

Airmann wrote:Yes, I said it straight forward "DAW". Is that misleading or wrong ? I heard that native speakers pronounced it like this in some YouTube videos. Nonetheless I could change it if it's necessary

No no, I've just never heard that before. But if you've heard native speakers say it that way, I'm sure it's fine. It just sounds strange to me, sort of like when people say "Gooey" when they are referring to a GUI... Which makes me cringe. But anyway :)

Airmann wrote:Well, obviously it would be a good thing if a "native speaker" could have a look at the manual / video tutorials. I'm not so much the "multitasking guy", so while controlling the FaderPort it's really hard for me to speak understandable english, and some errors I just don't realize :-).

Hey, you asked the right person! I've always wanted to be an editor or technical writer. Plus, every time I read some funny "Engrish" instruction manual, I always wonder why they didn't pay somebody like me $10 to proof their shit real quick before they send it out...
I didn't notice anything strange in the video except "DAW", but I'll check it again and read over the PDF soon. I did see the intro to the PDF last night and what I read sounded great actually, but I'll read it in full later on.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:03 am

Scott that's awesome. Do you have a donate button somewhere ? I'd spend you 10 bucks (seriously), means: buy you a "theoretical" coffee and cake.
At least I will give you credit in the manual and release.

I intend to release another video ASAP, that demonstrates "controlling of devices and dsps". Maybe I can send you the text lines in advance.

peaceful greetz
Matthias
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Airmann wrote:Scott that's awesome. Do you have a donate button somewhere ? I'd spend you 10 bucks (seriously), means: buy you a "theoretical" coffee and cake.
At least I will give you credit in the manual and release.

I intend to release another video ASAP, that demonstrates "controlling of devices and dsps". Maybe I can send you the text lines in advance.

peaceful greetz
Matthias

No need for that! Especially since you will be doing the mixing for me and Paul's upcoming co-op.

Yeah, just email or PM it to me if you ever need me to proof something, I'd be glad to :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:55 pm

oki, deal ;-)

I'll mail as soon as the stuff is there.

BTW: I've written the document using latest OpenOffice.
Guess I should add the original document to the google
code project, so you theoretically can open the source document.

BUT HURRAY:

It definitely works for Linux !

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php? ... ntry216602
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

FaderPort chicken or the egg

Postby Airmann » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Hey,

some words about my intentions:

... , I wanted to create a tool for mixing in Renoise like it's available for other DAW's, already. And believe me guys: this Fader is so much better than the mouse. It's really a different kind of workflow it provides

I created this as a tool for myself, but wanted to also share it. Only thing so far: no Renoise user beside me seems to own a FaderPort. Guess it's a "chicken or the egg" problem. So I don't get much feedback :-/
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: FaderPort chicken or the egg

Postby chunter » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Airmann wrote:I created this as a tool for myself, but wanted to also share it. Only thing so far: no Renoise user beside me seems to own a FaderPort. Guess it's a "chicken or the egg" problem. So I don't get much feedback :-/

That is the spirit of DIY coding in many cases. Seeing video of your faderport at work does make me consider owning one; it wouldn't surprise me if people with a bit more means have already put their orders in.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: FaderPort chicken or the egg

Postby Airmann » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:00 pm

chunter wrote:
Airmann wrote:I created this as a tool for myself, but wanted to also share it. Only thing so far: no Renoise user beside me seems to own a FaderPort. Guess it's a "chicken or the egg" problem. So I don't get much feedback :-/

That is the spirit of DIY coding in many cases. Seeing video of your faderport at work does make me consider owning one; it wouldn't surprise me if people with a bit more means have already put their orders in.

Hey chris :-D,

seems you're right, there's at least one user who ordered it today:

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php? ... ntry217624

But I actually expected that some "crossover"-users would own it already at time of development. Especially because for alll major DAW'S including Reaper there exists drivers, too.

Thanks for your feedback :-)
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Renoise