Renoise
73%
Modplug Tracker
27%

Total votes : 11

Is Renoise worth the $$$?

Is Renoise worth the $$$?

Postby Taiyal » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:53 pm

My birthday is tomorrow, and I've been considering purchasing Renoise with my birthday money. However, I'm not sure if I really want to pay US$67 for a tracker.

Here is my situation:

Computers:
My PC - Windows XP, 300MHz, 192MB RAM, 4GB HDD
My Laptop - iBook G3 running GNU/Linux, 600 MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD

I use ModPlug Tracker, and it can do pretty much anything I would want in a tracker.
So, I would like input from SDCompo as to whether Renoise is worth the money for me.

(Subjective, biased opinions are welcome ^_^ if I wanted objectivity I'd just go to wikipedia)
Taiyal
Newb
Newb

Re: Is Renoise worth the $$$?

Postby aged » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Taiyal wrote:My birthday is tomorrow, and I've been considering purchasing Renoise with my birthday money. However, I'm not sure if I really want to pay US$67 for a tracker.

I'm not considering Renoise that much as "only a tracker" anymore.
So for me it was money well spent ;)

Taiyal wrote:Computers:
My PC - Windows XP, 300MHz, 192MB RAM, 4GB HDD
My Laptop - iBook G3 running GNU/Linux, 600 MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD

It looks like you are not going to run any VST's on renoise, and I don't know how much the built-in fx are going to use CPU... ...

What else can I say? Try the demo and give it some time. That should help you to make up your mind :)
I've been happy with renoise and it's development... (it even supports AudioUnits now =))

Oh ... CONGRATS IN ADVANCE!!
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:08 pm

You should pay for Renoise now before the Euro goes up against the US Dollar.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:40 pm

I vote Modplug only because of your low system specs. Without being able to run vst's you are pretty much missing out on one of the main reasons Renoise is so awesome. So save up for new hardware first before you get Renoise. Of course try the demo, there are ways around the not being able to render wav issue anyway. :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:05 am

Oops sorry I voted for Renoise without looking at your system specs. I'm with Organic IO if your system specs wont take advantage of Renoise which it looks like they wont. Save your $67 toward a more modern computer before picking up Renoise.

Renoise is hands down worth its purchase price but first you need an environment to run it in.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:42 pm

I'm the sort that I buy things in anticipation of being able to actually use them later, so I still say buy Renoise if the exchange rate for your currency is good; I bet you'll own a computer that runs it well eventually.

Furthermore, I'm the sort that takes pride in getting an underpowered computer to run something it shouldn't be able to run. Good luck!

I have nothing directly personal against MPT besides that my couple tries to use it failed, I just don't get around on it well so I'm not wont to use it as a tool for anything. I feel the same way about MilkyTracker, and felt the same way about FasTracker 2 after I switched to Impulse Tracker.

Like anything in life I suppose, find the tool that works best for you.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby aGIANTpupafish » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:34 pm

organic io wrote:I vote Modplug only because of your low system specs. Without being able to run vst's you are pretty much missing out on one of the main reasons Renoise is so awesome.

OpenMPT can run VSTs too. :wink:

it's not so hot on the automation, but it can be done.

Personally (but it's up to you of course!) I would put that money towards a better computer, and stay with modplug for now at least. Then try the Renoise demo for a while, see if you like it, then consider buying it.

But maybe I'm just biased 'cos i like seeing entries where I know what every single number in the effects column means. Although I have learnt so much from looking at your effects chains renoisers. :wink:
aGIANTpupafish
Regular
Regular

No Renoise anyway...

Postby Taiyal » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:28 pm

I just tried the demo the other day... It says that Renoise uses a CPU instruction set called SSE (or something like that), and my processor doesn't have SSE support. (It's an AMD K6 btw, not a Pentium)

So, money or not, it seems my comp has made the choice for me >_<

Luckily, I might be getting a 500 MHz iMac G3 (This sounds exciting to me, lol). Of course, I'd have to use one of the Linux trackers.

Seriously, ModPlug not being for Linux is the only reason my desktop computer runs Windows. >_< (/end rant)

So yes, as some in this thread said, I'll be putting more effort into getting better hardware.
Taiyal
Newb
Newb

Postby Sonicade » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:00 pm

Budget computers (no monitor):

$269.00. $29.99 Shipping.
Intel Celeron 430 @ 1.80GHz; 512MB RAM; 80GB HDD; DVD-ROM; Vista Home Basic; keyboard/mouse; 1yr warranty

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=brcw2cz&cs=04&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN&dgc=BF&cid=7420&lid=197374

$599.99 Free Shipping
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 640GB HDD; DVD burner; Vista Home Premium; NVIDIA Geforce 9300 256MB w/ HDMI; card reader; 1yr warranty

$999.99 - $400 off Code: DT4628 = $599.99 Free Shipping
(Exp 11/23 or after 1350 uses)

(1) Click next to Base Configuration - Customize & Buy
(2) Select Operating System - Genuine Windows (64-bit) (+$0)
(3) Select Memory - Free Upgrade to 4GB (+$50)
(4) Select Hard Drive - 640GB RAID (+$100)
(5) Click on Review & Buy at the top
(6) Click on Add to Cart
(7) Apply $400 off HP Coupon
Code: DT4628 at payment screen

http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/desktops/m9400t_series/3/computer_store?aoid=35252

Both would run Renoise with flying colors.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

I can run renoise now!

Postby Taiyal » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:43 pm

About the 'old hardware' problem:

I recently got a used PowerMac G4 Cube from my friend because the company he works at is moving its location and they didn't want it anymore.

So now I have this setup:

Computer: Apple PowerMac G4 Cube (no CPU upgrades)
CPU: 450 MHz G4(but it has some coprocessor or something)
HD: 18 GiB
RAM: 448 MiB (soon to be 512 ^_^)
Music Software installed:
Renoise (works great on this comp)
miniAudicle
Audacity
MilkyTracker

I haven't played around much with Renoise, but it looks easy to use. I just wish it had an interface more like ModPlug so it would be easy to learn. >_<

And as for those linux trackers: Linux on PPC is a nightmare. Getting it installed on my iBook took a ton of effort. (of course, there is barely any support or help available... nobody uses PPC so nobody develops or maintains for PPC... I have to build everything from source and I need to reconfigure sleep on my iBook so it doesn't crash on awakening >_<)

So, it looks like the Cube is keeping the OSX it came with.
Taiyal
Newb
Newb

Re: I can run renoise now!

Postby aged » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Taiyal wrote:About the 'old hardware' problem:

I recently got a used PowerMac G4 Cube from my friend because the company he works at is moving its location and they didn't want it anymore.

That's cool!

Taiyal wrote:So, it looks like the Cube is keeping the OSX it came with.

Sounds like a wise decision ;) Just don't update it to Leopard, at least not yet. There's many VST related problems etc...
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Taiyal » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:03 pm

New Computer again!

P3 1GHz
384 MB RAM
28 + 4 GB HDD (yes, that's the one from my old PC)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard (YES!!!!)
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 64 (or something) video card

Still a P3, so no SSE and no Renoise...
But that's OK, since I like Modplug better anyway and...
I can do VSTi rounds now ^_^ (with only 30ms buffer!)

So, Modplug for me it seems shall be.
Taiyal
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:14 pm

Good luck dude :)

P.S... I'm glad you mentioned the Turtle Beach. I just checked on ebay and it turns out people are still paying $20-30 for them. Which means I can make a little cash off mine which I never use :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Renoise