Renoise tracker related topics.

Renoise + Linux + Windows vsti's ???

Renoise + Linux + Windows vsti's ???

Postby organic io » Wed May 27, 2009 4:37 pm

I did it. I can't believe it, but I did. I killed windows forever and installed Linux. Had some Malware I couldn't get rid of and I just made a split second decision to download Ubuntu.

I'm liking it so far.

Question: I have seen some of these vsti wrappers that allow windows vsti's to work in Linux with Wine.

Are they worth my time?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 pm

yeah, they work pretty well (the Dssi one is pretty good..., haven't tried many others)

Also, you could use the Windows version of Renoise under Wine and have the full functionality of the Windows version.
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Thu May 28, 2009 9:36 am

shadowbane wrote:yeah, they work pretty well (the Dssi one is pretty good..., haven't tried many others)

Also, you could use the Windows version of Renoise under Wine and have the full functionality of the Windows version.

:shock: So that works pretty well too? Think I may try that if I ever get some time to tinker with it. I tried using "Play on Linux" the other night but couldn't get any games to run yet. I must just be doing something wrong though.

I didn't really think about how much I use Melodyne before I made the switch. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Thu May 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Admittedly, there are some plugins that just don't work in wine, the ones that don't work with the wrapper because of crashes and such will probably do the same in Renoise Win version. I know that melodyne studio works in Wine, but not sure about the VST version. Feel free to see if you can get more to work one way or the other though.
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby chunter » Thu May 28, 2009 3:53 pm

I have yet to get any WINE working, but I think that may be because the Linux I run is 64 bit. This is part of the reason why I left Windows on the laptop.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu May 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Yeah I'll give a little report hopefully within the next week or so. I hope to enter this round, using some of the vsti's :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Thu May 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Wine works fine on linux 64, though it only runs 32 code (unless you do funky compile stuff and patching) I am currently using Wine to run Psycle on Ubuntu 64 bit, with lots of VSTs

For games I normally go the normal way and just use the executable file on the CD. a lot of the games I play aren't supported by Play on Linux, and they run fine anyway.
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Thu May 28, 2009 9:48 pm

The only games I have tried so far have been homebrew japanese shmups that don't even come with an installer.

Anyway. got Renoise to install fine and it's working with the DSK vsti's. However they are incredibly CPU hungry as some people have noted on the forums. Ethereal padz uses 100% CPU ... WTF???

OH well. At least it works :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Renoise