Maybe
13%
Every once in a while
38%

Total votes : 8

bi-monthly 1 hour compo interest check

bi-monthly 1 hour compo interest check

Postby organic io » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:24 am

well, since overthruster has mentioned the prospect of a 1 hour compo... i was thinking maybe we could organize one outside of SDcompo (so it wouldn't interfere with that) ... it could be run by 1 or 2 people, take place at the same scheduled time every 2 weeks. (or month, or whatever) and be coordinated through IRC ... samplepacks would be more sparse with the challenge being trying to get a good sound out of shit samples (possibly?) ... also we could try out some shit sounding VSTi's also and some rounds could be limited to 1 or 2 synthesizers, or occasionally number of channel limitations (4 channels anyone?)

the main forseeable problem is the time of day issue -- for me, i have a busy schedule and i would probably only be able to do it on friday or saturday nights sometime late in eastern standard time, like 1:00 AM-ish.
time zones will be a problem here because trackers are spread out across the world so what is convenient for you isn't convenient for me, etc

ALTERNATELY, we could use the honour system -- you're allowed a 2 day window in which to download the samplepack and track ... but you're still not allowed to work on the song for more than 1 hour. the problem is that cheating would be extremely easy :(
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby harold » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:13 am

I might be interested in something like this. The time-zone thing could be an issue though. Right now I live in Singapore (GMT +8) so regardless of when you ran it I'd be opposite where you are...

Maybe a 24 hour compo would be more fair? Though, that might give some people 2 evenings and some people only one. I dont know. If you went with an honor system thing I'd definitely abide. Submit the track after an hours work and then keep working on it if it's any good.

The idea of super short times or channel limitations sound fun. I'd be personally against a pack of shit samples. Garbage in garbage out is at least as true in tracking as anywhere else.

My $0.02,
-Harold
harold
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:29 am

looks like there's not much interest here, but fortunately someone else is doing it!!

http://tv3dfilez.ath.cx/byte/ROHC/ROHC.html
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Tracking / Demoscene