Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

Your inspiration/motivation/muse/concentration/for tracking?

Postby crosfire » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:48 am

I sometimes get my inspirations in strange sytuations, like passiong a parked car!!
I know that it sounds idiotic, but it's true. I just take a deep breath, close my eyes, and wat to kill the next person that i see. It works for about 2 days with some effcts changing :D.
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby paulnewns » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:43 am

Hope you don't mind me adding to this. I have done more music making since finding this site in the space of a few weeks than I have managed in the previous six months. Anything passable anyway. I found using cubase sx (oops mentioned it) a very sterile environment. Tracking (and Renoise in particular) seem like a beating heart in an empty vessel that just needs the life blood of creativity pouring into its throbbing veins to bring the beast to life. (Where did that come from?) And you can usually learn the basics in an afternoon. I don't think without the pressure of deadlines and the fact that I want people to listen to my music and tell me whether it is crap or not would I have got back into this music making lark as much as I have done recently. Nothing better than listening to an old track and thinking "actually that was pretty good" and not remembering how you managed it in the first place. Much to the dismay of my long suffering Mrs. "Your never off that bloody computer!" etc and so on. Long live sdcompo.com. I am now getting off my soapbox.

V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:43 pm

awesome :D some profound words in there man
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:08 am

Very much agree. Renoise has a great feel to it.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby overthruster » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:32 pm

i think maybe the "feel" of trackers seems to be so much better because its not some huge company making the shit and being like "you want to make proffessional music? then buy a mac for 5 grand and buy our softs for 800 bucks" and alot more interaction with the users with smaller programs. i mean, you cant write an email to fuckin steinburg and be like, "hey man, i dont like the way pattern selection works" or "i would like a different functionality on the repeat command" or whatev.

TRACKERS ARE MADE WITH LOVE
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby crosfire » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:55 am

Beside I think that programs like Cubase, or Logic and other similar aren't programs for electronic musicians. They are programs for real-instrument musicians that want to make music on synthesizers. They don't offer any creative way of making music beside recording a keyboardist. Ok you can tell that people like autechre and stuff use Logic, but i think that they make 99% of stuf on hardvare sequencers and they use Logic only for recording/editing automation, and as sync signal generator.
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby plusminus » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:29 pm

I have to disagree with that. Digital audio workstation software is maybe not EXCLUSIVELY for electronic musicians, but I know a lot of very interesting sound design / experimental music made with DAW software that is fantastic. Techno too.. a friend and netlabel-mate of mine named Brandon / Resynthesize has been using Cubase exclusively for a few years, and he started out on Impulse Tracker.

http://www.resynthesize.com/quikphix/0069/brandon_tallent-my_friend_t3.mp3
http://www.loxen.org/quikphix/0082/qx0082-03-vds7.mp3
http://www.archive.org/download/exp039/resynthesize_-_heart_and_soul_direct_-_03_-_supersynth_vbr.mp3

But anyhow, Cubase doesn't really do it for me personally. And I CANNOT STAND ProTools. Ardour is OK (it's free!) and Logic is a little different... but what it really comes down to is what works for you. I know a lot of people I've tried to introduce to trackers can't deal with the "spreadsheetiness" that it presents, sadly.

Another interesting software I like besides trackers is AudioMulch. It's got a really easy learning curve, you can make fun sounds within minutes of installing it, but there's a lot of depth to it.

I do appreciate the sense of community you get from using these smaller programs, that I personally haven't heard of with regards to the big stuff from Steinberg, Protools, etc.
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:05 am

it's not what you have, it's what you do with it :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Previous

Return to Tracking / Demoscene