Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

Your inspiration/motivation/muse/concentration/for tracking?

Your inspiration/motivation/muse/concentration/for tracking?

Postby organic io » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:13 pm

What's your inspiration/motivation/muse/etc for tracking?

Personally for me it's deadlines -- i like the pressure and it forces me to create when i otherwise would not have. there is no way i would have ever written as many songs this year if it wasn't for sdcompo, that's why i love it so.....

Also for some crazy reason, whenever I play the "blood" level on the old PC game "Silverball plus 2" (same engine as epic pinball) for about 20 minutes before a tracking session, I can always focus better and write better music. it's crazy. i had stopped using this method for over a year but I played it last night and i had my first epic tracking session in ages!

(i also got my highest score ever!!! holy crap!!!)

any more ramblings from starving artists? :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby aged » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:36 pm

that's a tough one actually... let me see..

some places inspires me like hell..
i remember writing all of my best stuff at my friends house :/
and what actually made me to write lots of music in there
was because i wanted to teach my friend how to use
impulse tracker :)

I'd say my current place i'm keeping my "music production center" is REALLY uninspiring, boring, doesn't motivate/inspire me at all...

can't wait to get myself a decent laptop so i can move the music
production to anywhere i want...

i find movies quite inspiring too, especially good ones ;D
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:29 pm

aged wrote:can't wait to get myself a decent laptop so i can move the music
production to anywhere i want...

yeah i've ALWAYS wanted to track in the woods, i hope i can do that eventually one day (damn laptops are expensive)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:06 pm

2nd the movies for being inspiring ... I'll put a movie on and watch a bit, pause, track for awhile, then alt-tab back to the movie and back and fourth till the movie is done. Probably not the most productive use of tracking time but sometimes it's very inspiring.

Incidentally I bought an AC adapter for my car and do all my tracking on a laptop so I've made myself quite mobile. One hang up though is that tracking in the car is awkward and not very comfortable (for long periods of time). Tracking in the woods sounds very interesting but I wonder if eventually (after 3 or 4 hours?) I might start thinking ... damn it's cold! Stupid wind blowing distracting me! .. Guess if you found a windless, warm forest? :D Heh I've probably gotten too used to the conveniences of modern society. ;)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby overthruster » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:51 pm

i used to use lsdj a lot, and i had my sp sitting right next to my bed... so every night before i went to sleep i tracked a little bit in my bed. some of my hands down best stuff was done in this fashion, in fact the vast majority of my gb stuff from the last three years or so was done in this way.

also helps me get to sleep. and the nice backlit screen...

also for a while i was couch surfing and just living with friends, so having a portable tracker was really nice and convenient. whenever i get a little inspired just plop down some rows heh...

a couple of us folks in minneapolis all used little sound dj around the same time in 2002-2003 and we would sometimes all sit around a super gameboy and snes and track row after row, just passing around the snes pad. this was really neat, to see other peoples techniques as they are doing it
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby drye » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Live music. Any band, any style. That inspires the hell out of me.

And just like Aged, I always get inspired when showing my friends how to track. You wanna know why that is? Cause it's back to the basics baby. I tend to write music too complex, and that can bring the motivation down. But when i'm showing other people how to track, I start with simple bass lines, simple drum beats etc... You know what i mean, right?

One other thing that inspires me, is just life. The everyday moments that make you feel one way or another... I'll sit down and try to make music that's similar to that feel. Sometimes i'll drift away from the feel I was aiming at, but it's the inspiration that counts ;)

Cheers,
Drye
drye
Regular
Regular

Postby crosfire » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:32 pm

a ja to lubia se necpac

:P
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby knetter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:26 pm

Good question IO... Overthruster, can you still catch sleep after tracking? When I track in the evening I cannot sleep anymore, all kinds of ideas, melodies, basslines are in my head then. So I think for me it is late in the evening, just before I want to sleep... :roll: Whithout pressure I rarely pass the 4-patterns-loop-stage. Therefore I like this compo soooo much: It really stimulates to make a song!
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby overthruster » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:33 pm

its cos i do it until i fall asleep with the thing in my hands! :D
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: Your inspiration/motivation/muse/concentration/for track

Postby RobWilliamsJnr » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:03 am

dj io wrote:What's your inspiration/motivation/muse/etc for tracking?

Personally for me it's deadlines -- i like the pressure ...

yeah. me too. when there are 3 or 4 hours left until the compo deadline, i'll start tracking.i know i've had 3 weeks... but...
RobWilliamsJnr
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby crosfire » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:36 am

dj io wrote:
What's your inspiration/motivation/muse/etc for tracking?

Personally for me it's deadlines -- i like the pressure ...

I do my entry in the first 2 days of the compo.
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 pm

RobWilliamsJnr wrote:yeah. me too. when there are 3 or 4 hours left until the compo deadline, i'll start tracking.i know i've had 3 weeks... but...

:D i usually try to start about 5 days before the deadline, and promise myself to spend at least 1 hour per night
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby RobWilliamsJnr » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:07 pm

dj io wrote:i usually try to start about 5 days before the deadline, and promise myself to spend at least 1 hour per night

do you keep that promise???
RobWilliamsJnr
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby hseiken » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:07 pm

@ Overthruster: me too, with the tracking before bed...before my DS got stolen (had a micro, but decided to trade it and my fat DS to get a DS lite...which, as I said got stolen along with a flash card and nanoloop2), I'd spend an hour in bed with the tv on and no sound and just throw down some music...when I lived in just outside Chicago last year, I'd mess around with it on the train ride into town. I miss having a portable way to make music. I've a laptop and an 'ultraportable' notebook, but it's just not the same (mostly because of the energy consumption of these things...2 hours? BLECH!)

@ topic: deadlines work for me. otherwise, i get all into my loop and just bob my head while mashing keys and switching on and off tracks. I don't know about everyone else, but i make music i want to hear and when it comes out, i get too caught up in the sound to continue. :p
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:54 am

RobWilliamsJnr wrote:
dj io wrote:i usually try to start about 5 days before the deadline, and promise myself to spend at least 1 hour per night

do you keep that promise???

oh man, i never saw that question rwj... yes, usually i do. there has been a couple of times where i have skipped one of the nights, but most of the time i end up spending more than 1 hour per night on it.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Next

Return to Tracking / Demoscene