Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

WHO DO YOU WRITE MUSIC FOR?

WHO DO YOU WRITE MUSIC FOR?

Postby paulnewns » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:53 am

Do you write it for your peers? For fun? Are you trying to write it for a wide popular audience? Or are you just doing it for yourself?
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby crosfire » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:55 am

First I was writing/experimenting for myself. Then it became a part of me so ofcourese I started to throw my feelings into it, and for some time it was a something of a diary or wathewer. Now it is the music that writes itself, and I am only the observer :D
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby paulnewns » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:42 pm

Interesting response. I find that if I haven't done anything for a while then I have the nagging voice in my head that says 'come on Paul, the creative side of your brain is getting bored', then when I sit down to do something it is like a pen where either it is full of ink and will flow out to complete a tune or it is dry and try as I might I can't get a single idea out.
:wink:
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:35 pm

paulnewns wrote: nagging voice in my head that says
creative side of your brain is getting bored',
like a pen where either it is full of ink
dry and try as I might I can't get a single idea out.

ditto
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby overthruster » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:25 am

jeebus

...drugs?

satisfaction (i can't get no)
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby hseiken » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:33 pm

I write what I want to hear (i.e. for me), but I always am interested in how my tastes differ from the listener, so in that respect, I write for everyone BUT me. I also try to put in tricks for other artists to get ideas from...I'm a bit egotistical that way, I guess...
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby MattyBoJangles » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:54 pm

Usually, I just write the first sound, then what the first sound wants to come next. And so on, until it works for me.
Sometimes, I start with some weird challenge to myself, like make a complete song out of one short sample, or or something like that.
I also make songs for my kids. My son loves stuff he can go nuts to, and he likes to give me vocal samples, so I use that a lot for fodder.
Besides that, it's for the enjoyment of the creation, and not for a particular audience. But it does feel good when people digg it. Maybe it should be more R&B, something for the ladies...My brother tells me I should make something more mainstream, but even if I try, it doesn't go there in the end. It's unintentional. I just make what I like.
Hello?
MattyBoJangles
Newb
Newb

Re: WHO DO YOU WRITE MUSIC FOR?

Postby Directionless » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:30 am

paulnewns wrote:Do you write it for your peers? For fun? Are you trying to write it for a wide popular audience? Or are you just doing it for yourself?

i write music i like. also to let the creativity do it's thing. also because i'll go nutz if i don't. lastly, to get "better" although not in a conventional i hope.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby groovyone » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:37 am

Depends what I'm writing the music for.

Mostly for myself, but also for my listeners.

Sometimes just for practice and experimentation to see if I can achieve something.
groovyone
Regular
Regular

Postby CAG » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:42 am

When I started, I wrote music to improve my music technical ability. Then, as I went along, I wrote music for others in specific styles to get a grasp of the vast plethora of genres.

Now, I just write the music because the music completes itself, and I am the observer. If I try to write music with a specific goal in mind, I find it harder than just plotting out a vague direction and tracking with lost abandon. I let the sounds take themselves where they want to go, and share the sounds with everybody.

EDIT: haha, looks like you and I are of similar minds, crosfire. My bad. :)
CAG
Regular
Regular

Postby crosfire » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:08 pm

CAG wrote:When I started, I wrote music to improve my music technical ability. Then, as I went along, I wrote music for others in specific styles to get a grasp of the vast plethora of genres.

Now, I just write the music because the music completes itself, and I am the observer. If I try to write music with a specific goal in mind, I find it harder than just plotting out a vague direction and tracking with lost abandon. I let the sounds take themselves where they want to go, and share the sounds with everybody.

EDIT: haha, looks like you and I are of similar minds, crosfire. My bad. :)

Some time ago I found that the "self writing" of music is taking control. Writing music wasn't as exciting as it was earlier. I was in some kind of composing-loop, where I had a some ideas, but they seemed non attractive, and the songs boring. I decided that I need a to find a way to get a distance. And I found it. The aid was, changing the music program. New interface and gui=new ways of composing=new, more exciting ideas.
Now I am waiting for my bank account to open, co I will be able to buy some liveact / pa gear on eBay (thou paypal), and get rid of the need to use computer, and I will get rid of the "looping syndrome" at last for a year :D!
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Directionless » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:59 pm

crosfire wrote:Some time ago I found that the "self writing" of music is taking control. Writing music wasn't as exciting as it was earlier. I was in some kind of composing-loop, where I had a some ideas, but they seemed non attractive, and the songs boring. I decided that I need a to find a way to get a distance. And I found it. The aid was, changing the music program. New interface and gui=new ways of composing=new, more exciting ideas.
Now I am waiting for my bank account to open, co I will be able to buy some liveact / pa gear on eBay (thou paypal), and get rid of the need to use computer, and I will get rid of the "looping syndrome" at last for a year :D!

This is true. I consider it the production effect, being that whatever your routine for production can stifle creativity. I spent years simply recording acoustic guitars and vocals. got in a rutt with that. I get in a rutt tracking all the time and make many sacrificial lamb tracks. with every crappy track I make, a diamond in the rough surfaces that much sooner.

now i'm trying to do as you say, shaking up the production technique a bit to open my creativity. by using a blend of sequencing and guitar.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby overthruster » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:08 pm

i think another key to breaking out of the doldrums of repeating what you are doing over and over again is listening to lots of new producers and genres etc etc that you arent well versed with, i find most of my ideas are just ripoffs of my favorite artists anyway, and staying open to lots of different ideas and musics seems to help the flow
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby aged » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:15 am

overthruster wrote:i think another key to breaking out of the doldrums of repeating what you are doing over and over again is listening to lots of new producers and genres etc etc that you arent well versed with...

heehee, i mostly listen to metal / rock music, but i write very different songs (okay, metal/rock too) :)
I can imagine how ULTRA boring it would be me writing nothing but the type of music I'm listening to..
(atleast i'd hate myself ;))
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Harmony » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:20 am

Do you write it for your peers? For fun? Are you trying to write it for a wide popular audience? Or are you just doing it for yourself?

I write my music for myself and if other people also like it that's a bonus :) I love the end-result but I love the process of tracking more, those wonderful hours where you exist only in the world between your headphones - there's nothing like it.
---------------------
www.alarinmusic.com
---------------------
Harmony
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Tracking / Demoscene