Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

Buzzclone seeking demosongs...

Buzzclone seeking demosongs...

Postby hseiken » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:07 pm

Aldrin, a buzzlike tracker running under linux, is seeking some demo songs showing off the new synths. It's quite a bit more 'user friendly' than buzz as it limits (don't take that negatively) the plugins used to those built in for the sake of stability. It features keyjazz on machine view, live recording, horizontal arranger view (?!), and other enhancements over buzz, aside from it's revamped sound engine.

The demo songs should be somewhat complete and show off the new synths for this version (green milk and infector) as well as the new effect (pitchshifter).

To get the latest SVN pre-release intermediary version, go to:
http://trac.zeitherrschaft.org/aldrin/wiki

For examples of some sounds it can do, visit this thread at ReNoise:
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=13636

For demosong submission info, join the IRC channel:
#aldrin on freenode.

Hope to seem some demotunes! :)
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby plusminus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:08 am

I tried Aldrin before and really, really had a hard time getting into it. I found the interface wholly uninspiring and barely-usable, and the machines, despite being incredibly flexible, boring and flat-sounding.

I never really got into Buzz much, for a variety of reasons, so it's possible it's just me. But even the small time I spent with Buzz it seemed, at the very least, not a chore to actually compose in.

With all that said, I'm looking forward to hearing the demo tracks from the new Aldrin release; if there's something really good it might convince me to give it another try.
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby hseiken » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:16 pm

I am assuming you've not used a more up to date version. There's lots of nifty features in there...

To name some:

*Keyjazz on machine view
*Slider Record
*Add patterns in sequencer view
*ENTER with cursor over pattern in sequencer view jumps to pattern edit of that pattern
*Target specific machines to have generators auto-connect to when creating
*Insert and delete effects in a chain without breaking chain
*2 new synths: Infector and Green Milk
*2 new effects: Pitchshifter and 'Live Jump' (for live performance)

Personally, I find Aldrin to be damn good compared to other linux programs both in ease of use, production flow (which is seemingly a big one the devs are working on), and sound as well as over flexibility. Also, I like the fact that it's all internal sound generation...you can share small song files without worry about 'do i have xxx plugin for this tune?!' without even having the temptation of just browsing for hours for some plugin that might not even please you (I'm very guilty of that with VSTs)...

So personally, I like it a lot, especially since I'm Linux only now (still having faith that renoise will be ported). And it's achievements over buzz's shortcomings are quite clever and help a lot with just getting a song out. Plus, it's DAMN stable. There's only been 2 REAL instances where it crashed, both of which seem to have been fixed as of late. Plus, GimmAPill has been uploading new packages to install of current builds a lot, so it's like every day, I get something new out of it...:D

Okay, yeah, I'm ranting...but I encourage all to give it a try. It's not terrible by any means.
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby plusminus » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:59 pm

I used 0.11.. maybe I'll give the new one a try, sometime.

And I didn't mean to discourage other people from using it, or say that it's a "bad" program; just that I really felt it wasn't right for me.
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Return to Tracking / Demoscene