Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

Dedicating yourself to music

Dedicating yourself to music

Postby paulnewns » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:27 am

Does anyone wish they could dedicate themselves to making music? Make a living out of it? Give up the 'rat race'? Or do any of you make a living out of it?
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:37 am

i usually sit down at renoise for about 10 hours a month. even though i consider it my "passion" and i feel i'm moderately serious about it, i know i don't do as much actual tracking as a lot of people. sometimes, i wonder what it would be like if i worked on music 8 hours a day instead of going to my day job... but i can't really put myself in that place... i worry i might loose motivation or inspiration to do it if i had to force myself 8 hours a day

i dunno

i used to really aspire to actually make a living doing music, but now that the record industry has changed so much in the past 7 years, and it's harder for artists to make it, i feel like it's not really a realistic goal anymore. so i'm content with making music mainly for myself and to share with friends :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Re: Dedicating yourself to music

Postby Directionless » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:58 pm

paulnewns wrote:Does anyone wish they could dedicate themselves to making music? Make a living out of it? Give up the 'rat race'? Or do any of you make a living out of it?

YES!

I battle with a few issues on that front though - I'm anti-success and hippie-based; feeling like the human race is reduced to competition for competition's (and money's) sake, versus something more noble, artistic, or otherwise worthy.

So i've been pitted against myself all these years in my false rebellion towards society. Trying to overcome this.

In the past year or more since i quit my full time job of drinking, i started spending all that time on music. Mostly tracking and experimenting with sound production.

Previously, I have 10 odd years of acoustic demo recordings done for pure hobby and self-amusement (plus to give to friends and such), and have played/performed for a lot of non-commercial or psuedo-public events (such as weddings, house parties, campfires, jam sessions, as well as random strangers that just happened by.

But to recap, yes, I'm at the stage in life where I hate having a job and feel like there's not much I can contribute in life better than some musical/artistic pursuit.

Biggest challenge there is (besides myself), a lot of people that "make it" are performance exhibitionists or actual students of music that go into the "real work" like John Williams did, for example.

I'm not interested in either of those niches. So something along the indie side without many creative restrictions or public performing is what I am envisioning.

In the meantime, I don't ever want to turn music making into a chore or something I feel burdened by rather than something that I love to do. It's easy for me to cross that threshhold. Like, I have a non-profit contract for an upcoming indie film that the producer wants 2 songs for (i'm mostly doing the composition and vocals, then collaborating with a fellow Psycler in Germany on the rest of the music structure and production.)

Trouble is, this indie film guy is already being a micro-manager and thus, i feel like working on any projects but his at the moment. :P

Not to mention, being run rough with a low paying, demeaning, crap job doesn't always help the inspiration... especially if i want to make something beautiful rather than angry.
Last edited by Directionless on Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: Dedicating yourself to music

Postby Directionless » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:21 pm

paulnewns wrote:Does anyone wish they could dedicate themselves to making music? Make a living out of it? Give up the 'rat race'? Or do any of you make a living out of it?

But yes, to add to what Dj io said: I do feel dedicated to music because i feel it will always be my life, regardless of whether or not I achieve any level of success, which in society, we generally interpret by way of $ figures.

And in that respect, that makes those of us that will pursue this great lifetime hobby richer than many one-hit-wonder types from the ages, that may not have gone on to pursue music after their commercial hayday ended. As well as richer than those whose ideas of pursuit and achievment are largely in the form of life accessorizing - consumerism for consumption's sake.

My dad is a singer, guitar player, bassist, and amateur recording tech. He's played lots of local gigs, made tons of for-fun demos over the years, and never to my knowledge earned a dime from music. but my respect for him as an artist, as is my respect for all of you, is beyond some of the mainstream successes that were/are brief cardboard poster-boys for a commercial enterprise.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:51 pm

I'm very interested in pursuing music as a career. I've met a lot of interesting people in the video games industry and it's very appealing but also a LOT of hard work. Hard work that I have yet to put very much time into. So.. I can see myself in the games/music industry but I need to put more time into my music and music skills in order to realize that dream.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Tracking / Demoscene