Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

Tracking video

Tracking video

Postby fbjon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:49 am

I was looking at the live video of Gabe drawing the comic at Penny Arcade, and thought that the same could work for trackers. Wouldn't it be interesting to see a video of someone else working on a song from start to finish? There are some obvious problems like it might take much longer than drawing a comic, and possibly split into several sessions.

Anyway, even if I start on time, most of the time my music tends to grow forth during the final session/crunch just before deadline. If anyone else does things the same way, I'd be interested in watching that 'final session'..
_
Image Chotoro gallery
fbjon
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:16 am

interesting idea. you mean like a time lapsed video? what would the video show, the screen? it'd be a little strange if it was time lapsed since you wouldn't really be able to hear the music correctly. might not give the same effect that a pure drawing video does

still i think it could be pulled off somehow. i'll think of ideas
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby fbjon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:58 am

organic io wrote:interesting idea. you mean like a time lapsed video? what would the video show, the screen? it'd be a little strange if it was time lapsed since you wouldn't really be able to hear the music correctly. might not give the same effect that a pure drawing video does

On Penny-Arcade, it was a real-time video of the desktop, with some background music added. The channel is here. I'm thinking it would be basically the desktop + audio outputs piped straight to video.
_
Image Chotoro gallery
fbjon
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:47 pm

i see. maybe it could be a short song by somebody who works really fast because otherwise it'd get really boring.

i can guarantee you nobody is going to want to watch a video of me working on a song for 8 hours. :P I once heard Harmony say she sometimes works on songs 20+ hours. (!!!)

We need somebody fast like Xerxes who has done a million OHC's

it'd probably even help if they "practiced" first, i.e. wrote a rought outline of the song and the dsp/effects they were going to use, and then tried to reproduce the exact same thing again for the video, only faster.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby CAG » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:30 pm

dude, I'd be up for it. I'll go hunting for some good screen capture software now...

hehe, I have no idea what I'm getting into, do I?
CAG
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:56 am

i think it would be better if you used a microphone and had live commentary about what you were doing as well.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby CAG » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:39 pm

of course, I do plan to have commentary. I might, due to some technical difficulties, not be able to comment live.

I'll keep trying though! :)
CAG
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Thu May 01, 2008 1:41 pm

...and nooow ladies and gentlemen! the 16 bit hihat sample makes an entrance in the right column! THE EXCITEMENT IS PALPABLE!#%@
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu May 01, 2008 1:52 pm

Sonicade wrote:...and nooow ladies and gentlemen! the 16 bit hihat sample makes an entrance in the right column! THE EXCITEMENT IS PALPABLE!#%@

:P :P :P

i'm hoping it would be more ambitious than that... something like

"and this is why i've chosen to place the EQ before the compressor, as cutting the 300hz band on this particular sample gives more space in the mix and makes the bass drum go BUMP"
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Thu May 01, 2008 10:07 pm

yeah that would be cool... a short cut of each sample added, it's final placement, significant changes, the mixing process. Time compressed for easier absorption. That would be a fun project! :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Tracking / Demoscene