Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

SDcompo could push music forward

SDcompo could push music forward

Postby organic io » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:05 pm

Listening to a couple of the tunes this week, has gotten me to thinking... Is it possible that somehow, the synergy of entries at SDcompo could somehow push music forward in a good way? Like create new advances that nobody has seen or heard anywhere else?

Some music communities are small, Happy hardcore for instance during the late 90's probably had 50 or so relatively closely knit artists who were pushing things forward, same with some subgenres of d&b, or uk garage in the early 00's... Etc. So there's 50-ish regular people on SDcompo .... Just gets me thinking, maybe it could happen, even without consciously copying each other, but something special could happen out of all of this that pushes all of music forward?

Maybe it sounds crazy or grandiose. :) Heh. Just a thought
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:34 am

I think the formula we have here is a pretty good one. The SDCompo community provides an incentive to express yourself through music composition, a guaranteed listening audience and feedback on your creative result. I really wish I could put more time into developing new features and expanding the site. If anyone has any thoughts on how to get more people involved or make any part of the compo process more enjoyable I'd love to see them posted here on the forums.

The more we all improve as a community with our individual and combined talents, the closer we come to breakthroughs like Organic IO mentioned.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:16 pm

I think it was the Renoise forums where I read some quote about somebody saying that every time he concentrated on making "breakcore" the result sucked, but if he just made music it would sometimes come out as a good breakcore piece.

The electronic "genres" that came up in the 90's were really just a way of sorting the different groups from each other, otherwise, if anything what we have in them are more like "styles" from Jazz, and I wish more folks would see it that way, that it is not wrong to mix styles in a set. It's challenging, but acceptable, for DJ's to work tempo and different kinds of music into their sets.

Getting back on topic, though, it is very difficult to think of what we're doing here as much more than exercising our composing muscles while making a kind of music that's just a little bit past its prime (and a kind of music that was not intended to make much money, and Timbaland and Zombie Nation notwithstanding, never did. This however, is not a bad thing.)

I suppose to three friends in Detroit playing records and programming discarded Roland music computers, they were making a kind of music that was past its prime as well, their chief inspiration being Kraftwerk, and their result being the birth of Techno and the beginnings of the House and Rave cultures. With that in mind, you never know what the impact of your art will be.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:37 pm

chunter wrote:it is very difficult to think of what we're doing here as much more than exercising our composing muscles while making a kind of music that's just a little bit past its prime

We're not all doing demostyle tunes here :) Sure there's lots of imitation of trance, techno, d&b, etc... I can fully own up to doing some of that imitation, but there are some truly unique entries as well.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby BruchFrei » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:59 pm

This may have been already suggested previously or may even be a ludicrous idea but perhaps a collaboration of all willing participants within SDCompo?

It seems that with small samplepacks each person is coming with a huge contrast of different ideas so with free range access to any samples/vst's etc this could greatly improve the creativeness overall.

Now I realise that this could have some issues ie. tracker used but in this instance perhaps selecting a tracker to be used prior to starting the collaboration to which the majority of participants agree on.
Or having more than one collaboration using multiple trackers?
BruchFrei
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:30 pm

Heh yeah. Round 28 baybeee

http://forums.sdcompo.com/viewtopic.php?t=391

We decided that more than 5 people would have been too much (not enough time for each person to work on the song), but Refive had 5 people, and the opposing faction, aptly named "Team Psycle" had 3 people. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:23 pm

Actually, it'd be neat to see regulars converge and create a weblabel, a la Monotonik. That means we'd have to occasionally write tunes that are not intended for entry in the competition.

I agree that most of the folks here are fairly forward-looking with their music; that's a lot of the reason why I'm here.

I'm prone to phases where I think all music feels old. Here, I'm reminded that there's plenty that I'm not good at, and positive results feel at least attainable.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:33 pm

PS: answering the other questions, I was surprised that a tracker other than Renoise was in use here, as I thought SD was specifically a Renoise competition.

While I'm not one to ask anyone to leave, if you want to join a competition where any sound is fair game, try doing a Barryvan Compo.

This may sound strange but I find the limitation of an instrument pack inspiring; I find the infinite blank slate most digital tools provide to be a bit daunting, I never know where to start.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:40 am

chunter wrote:PS: answering the other questions, I was surprised that a tracker other than Renoise was in use here, as I thought SD was specifically a Renoise competition.

It started off as Renoise only for the first 15 or so rounds... and then got opened up to other trackers. I told Sonicade that it still said "You will need Renoise music tracking software" in the Help page, but he still hasn't changed it yet :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:36 am

Yes, it's still in the Help files...

Elaborating on "the pack is inspiring," the last couple Barryvan "packs" were a single melodic phrase and a photograph of a beach from a mountain.

I can't compose from that, at least not right now.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:11 pm

I've been wanting to do Barryvan compo for a bit of a while now but I've never gotten around to it. Sounds like fun though
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby aGIANTpupafish » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:18 pm

haha personally i love this compo, and think we have a much stronger community here, but i like to go to the barryvan compo sometimes too just for a change. also, like the track i'm just finishing for this round of barryvan, and i'm able to do things i can't do here like guitar solo's ($$$) cos of sample and filesize limitations that obviously don't apply in an mp3 compo.

but don't worry, i would never leave you guys :wink:
aGIANTpupafish
Regular
Regular

Return to Tracking / Demoscene