Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

Alternatives for Melodyne

Alternatives for Melodyne

Postby knetter » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a better alternative than Melodyne, bacause:

...The recorded sound lacks treble and is not crisp (compared to the default recording in renoise)...
...it is quite an unstable program (lots of crashes)...
...The GUI is horrible and isn't really logical...
...The workflow is awefull (cannot save mixer setting, nor view of transport pane, etc.)

Anybody used Waves Tune? Thanks!

[edit]Oops, wrong section (moderator, please move it to production/mastering area), sorry[/edit]
Last edited by knetter on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Hmm.... I personally love it. I don't think you're going to find anything nearly as powerful/versatile as far as the amount of manipulation you can do. I hear a lot of people talk about antares autotune but it's really more for realtime pitch correction. Whereas with Melodyne you can go back and change literally anything you want to
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:43 am

yeah, I think the sound technology is quite advanced in Melodyne, but the ways to get there and the look-and-feel is quite obfuscated. It lacks lots of quick linky windows-based-GUI logical shortcuts. Also it tooks me ages to get the input for my M-Audio card working. It was some setting in the Melodyne mixer window which looks like a half-crashed program (you know when the labels are disappeared from the button panels). Very annoying is, that I have to set it up over-and-over again... OK enough bashing, when I record in renoise and load it in melodyne, it works better and the sound is not so dull. So therefore I'm still using it and is it quite o.k. . :roll:
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Yeah I didn't even know you could record in Melodyne honestly ...
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:38 pm

I think Melodyne is just one of those things you sortof get the hang of. The only person I know that uses it regularly can work with it so quickly that we can talk with him while he clicks on a vocal. He can do a single vocal track of a 3 min song in about 30 secs.

Otherwise, the only thing that puts me off using it is its price.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:02 pm

chunter wrote:I think Melodyne is just one of those things you sortof get the hang of. The only person I know that uses it regularly can work with it so quickly that we can talk with him while he clicks on a vocal. He can do a single vocal track of a 3 min song in about 30 secs.

Otherwise, the only thing that puts me off using it is its price.

He must just use the automatic pitch correction function. :? It usually takes me about 30 minutes to an hour to do a 3 or 4 minute song.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:52 pm

Could be, but to give an idea, when he works, he's all click-click-click-click, relisten, click, drag... flying across the waveform...

You'd think it was an old videogame for him.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:00 am

Hehe, funny

For me it's a very tedious process of examining every single note, modifying the modulation so that the note does not waver outside of +- 30 cents or so, (unless there is noticable vibrato) and then manually dragging it exactly to the center of the desired pitch.
It helps for my crap voice. :) I would love to do Melodyne editing professionally!
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:35 pm

Yeah, that's what it is. The dude does almost all rock music so he isn't looking for dead on pitch. I've even seen him deliberately work bends so that they sound right.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Tracking / Demoscene