Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

Player MOD/XM/S3M/IT/MT2/XRNS ?

Player MOD/XM/S3M/IT/MT2/XRNS ?

Postby iNTERLuNe » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi,

After using ModPlug Player for listening MOD/XM/S3M/IT format (oldschool) on my PC, I would like to know if one Player can play MOD/XM/S3M/IT/MT2/XRNS format because I love listening modules (oldschool) and recent musics...

The latest version of WinAMP works perfectly to support MT2 plugin. But it play not correcty old modules (MOD, IT, XM...).

Today, I use the latest version of XMPlayer 3.4 :-) What do you think ? Anyone knows the best player modules on PC in 2008 ?

Thanks & Greetings,

ViZiON
iNTERLuNe
Newb
Newb

Postby Sonicade » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi ViZiON, welcome to the forums.

For classic module playback XM, MOD, S3M, IT, etc, BASS / XM-Play are considered accurate playback.

There was a plugin written for winamp called in_bass.dll which would playback modules using the BASS sound library.

I came across this link which also claimed to do the same thing.

http://trackers.pp.ru/soft/plug-in/in_bassvsmosg.zip
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 pm

I've heard more negative answers to this question (players to avoid) than positives, but I can tell you that the libmikmod based players tend to play a lot of formats, but be inaccurate in one or another sense, from personal experience.

I have good luck with the tracker-playing abilities built into Xine, which I think are based on the same libraries as MODPlug (someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.)
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:53 am

There is no player for Renoise files other than Renoise, due to the nature of the format.. What if a song used vsti's, etc, and the listener didn't have those instruments installed, the player wouldn't be able to render them.

I do wish Renoise would have a little player/playlist inside of itself though
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Tracking / Demoscene