Gimme a little story of yourself :)

You got any other skills than tracking?
Good memories of the scene?
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Ahh the scene

Postby Sonicade » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:11 pm

I first came across the scene in 1995-1996 when I wanted to find the music for Crusader: No Remorse. Wow .mod files, tiny and cool! Then I discovered the [url=http:///www.modarchive.com/]modarchive.com[/url] and that you could even make your own modules with Fast Tracker II. Soon my mind was being blown by Necros, Purple Motion, Elwood, and many many more amazing trackers. It was music that I had never heard before and so different from the mainstream commercial music I had heard up to that point. I started fumbling around in FT2, hanging out in #trax on efnet and even occasionally participating in compos. It was in #trax that I met Imode and was introduced to Soundevotion. The music they made really appealed to me and eventually I was even invited to join the group. It wasn't long afterward that the Demoscene began to undergo major changes as people began to shift and choose different paths. Today, the scene is still alive however in a different way than the oldschool days of a bustling tightknit community. Still, the Demoscene and Soundevotion have left a lasting impression on me.

I'm originally from Hawaii, US but also lived in Japan for 5 years when I was young and am currently in California, US. Other skills, hmmm..
Building Computers, Computer Gaming (it's a skill!), Adobe Photoshop, HTML,CSS,PHP,Javascript, Video Editing. Can also speak Japanese, read/write Hiragana, play the drums a little, used to play soccer, learning how to cook food, play 1 or 2 chords on a guitar.
Last edited by Sonicade on Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby aged » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:30 pm

ok, now GIMME MORE!

anyone?
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: Ahh the scene

Postby drye » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:36 am

The tracking scene has been with me since the ages of microcomputers. I wasn't among the trackers, cause i was too young, but i definitely was listening. I'm talking about c64 games baby :). Other kids were playing the games for the games, i was playing them for the music. Rob Hubbard, Ben Daglish, Jeroen Tel and others were my heroes.

Then came Amiga, and a whole different sound. That period was very brief for me, and somehow i didn't stumble across the trackers just yet, although i did enjoy amiga game music a lot!

Fast forward to circa 1994 - when me and my brother got my first pc. Game music in those years didn't really move me, but when i first connected to a couple of BBSes, i discovered demos. So that's where "real" music went :) Purple Motion, Elwood and tons of other talented musicians became my new heroes. I wanted to make music too, but didn't know exactly how.

Luckily my friend knew someone who was supposedly making music with a computer... even for games! That someone was aRTy, from a town near me, and he sent me impulse tracker, a couple of modules and a nice little tutorial. That's when i became a tracker called Verchy ;)

I joined a demo group Septic, soon made my very own group called the x.seed, changed my handle to Demmas, managed to get quite a few people into the group (the first one outshined (now he calls himself aged). A few years later my group's inspiration dryed up, outshined invited me into soundevotion, i changed my nick to Drye, did practically nothing for the scene... and now i'm here.

I live in Slovenia, and i'm from a town called Velenje. Right now i live in a town called Maribor with my girlfriend and work as a software developer in a high tech firm.
My skills... I'm quite versatile and creative with the computer, be it audio, graphics, programming or simply building it :) I like to play with keyboards and guitars, enjoy jogging, and a good meal.
I'm a big fan of all sorts of music, but especially progressive rock.
drye
Regular
Regular

Postby Harmony » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:13 pm

Cool, this is interesting stuff, I hope people keep posting :)

I started tracking in 1997 when my other-half (aka Cullyn) introduced me to Impulse Tracker. I'd always been into music but had only used dodgy sequencers until then and was amazed at what Impulse was capable of. Mickrip also lived in the same area so we would hang out at his place and he'd critique my tunes and help me write better music (still does, he rocks).

So I tracked with Impulse for the next five years - mostly ambient electronic / dance / game tracks - and hung out on #trax and downloaded every decent track I could get my hands on. I used to sit and just watch tracks play on Impulse for hours sometimes, trying to learn more about how they worked (did anyone else do that or am I just weird??).

And then Renoise came out and I started working with that and had to basically re-learn my tracking technique, but with the VST's and VSTi's available it's been well worth it. I'm also starting to learn the next big step (for me) with post-production and mastering - I normally tend to just track something and release it but Mick's been showing me how much difference proper post-production makes so I'm trying to get the hang of that.

Other than that, I live in Newcastle Australia with my husband and two cats. For work I design web and html interfaces for a software company in Brisbane. I also really like to draw and paint (digital), play computer games (esp. World of Warcraft), and play my guitar.

Ok someone else, this is interesting stuff :).....
---------------------
www.alarinmusic.com
---------------------
Harmony
Regular
Regular

Postby hcys » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:51 am

Ehhem. I'll go on and have a scenial rant if you don't mind. :)

I first got into mods and stuff probably in 1993-1994 I think. Had an Amiga 600, and my brother had a C64, so I experienced the game and cracktro music, but never knew what a tracker was until I'd sold the Amiga. Then with the family PC, a great 486 with a turbo switch, I somehow managed to discover the scene. My first tracker was SBStudio, which was an amazing four channel tracker made by Henning Hellström. I'd listen to some Purple Motion, Heatbeat and C.C.Catch tunes, as well as a lot of the tunes from the diskmags of that time. There was one issue of PC Format that was packed with four channel .mods, that I loaded into SBStudio and studied. Found a few different trackers, and wanted to use Renaissance Tracker, but the format was too obscure. Then tried FT1, plus a brief spell with FT2, before finding and settling on ST3.

I developed the trait of skipping school to go home and track. If it had been possible, I would've dropped out completely.
A friend of mine upped some early .mods to a local BBS. Those are probably long gone, and the machine had 2 severe HDD crashes back then, so I lost all that stuff. :cry:

Then it all took a nice turn, as we got a 64 kbit ISDN internet connection in 1996 I think. I got to hear Radix, Hunz, Dizzy, etc, and found Impulse Tracker. Started to frequent #trax. Some years later, I joined TPOLM and started hanging out on ircnet instead. I was always more into 4chn I suppose, except for REALLY good multichn stuff like Necros, Siren, etc. With the scene fading out minute by minute, I didn't get into releasing a whole lot. Thought more and more of being a musician and creating music in actual life. I used Buzz a few times, started to get into Logic until they went with Apple, and tried a few different things, like zTracker, NoiseTrekker, etc. Then got hold of Renoise.

Other than tracking, mixing, etc, I play guitar and bass, sing when there's no one around. I study electronics work part-time for a local firm as a software developer, paint and draw (in Photoshop and Painter, or canvas and paper), jog a bit and erm that's it.
Last edited by hcys on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
hcys
Regular
Regular

Postby sagosen » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:51 am

Interesting. :)

(listening to hcys tune as I type)

My first encounter with "I wanna make music, I wanna make music!" was when I was about 11 or so, started taking keyboard lessons 'cos I loved Jean Michel Jarre and wanted to make music just like him. Only I were taught Beatles, ABBA and stuff like that. It sucked, I hated it and quit after not learning a thing in 4 years (I thought).

Anyway, come 1995 (14 years old) and a friend of mine got hold of FT2 on his 3x86. :D We'd listen to Prodigy's Eperience, the two mods he'd gotten hold of and were hooked on the feeling.. I watched him for a couple of years until I could do my own stuff.

I didn't really frequent in #trax or anything like that, just leeched what I could from traxinspace, tokyodawn, LoK, various hardcore groups etc.. Did mostly techno/d&b then, playing around with two buddies in our group KGwannaB, then releasing some stuff on our online label WCP (which died a quiet death due to lack of updating)

Collected tons of mods, or maybe not tons but I organized the ones I really liked into categories, have 2060 personally chosen tunes sorted by genre. That may have been my hobby back then, hehe..

I sucked ass the first years, made some decent tunes around 1999-2000 and were quiet again until I got hold of Buzz, did one tune and stopped again. The psycle, no finished works. Renoise in 2001. Happiness! :D

So, I still didn't do much good with Renoise in the beginning, took me a couple of years until I made something passable as "good". These days I'm partly happy with my techniques, mostly happy with the fact that I have a better ear for music; I can most the times actually write down the ideas in my head.

Other talents? I'm a heck of a people person! :D
I design some web, make good food and, ehm.. I'm too hungry to write anything more, hehe..
sagosen
Regular
Regular

Postby fbjon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:08 am

Well, my story starts long ago in 198x. I don't know the exact year, but I'm guessing around 87-89. Starting on an 8-bit Amstrad 6128, I tried making some sweet music with BASIC commands and loops. I was the only one of my friends who had an 8-bit, I think, but my brother told me about the other stuff, especially the C64, and I did see/hear it occasionally.

A bit later my parents got a home synth for the family, a Technics K740. It's actually pretty good, it was made before the boom with cheap Casio wavetable plastic crap. I even remember wanting to code my own tracker for the Amstrad at some point.. but alas, I was way too young to have the brains for such a big project.

A few years later, after having started playing the violin, my brother got an Amiga 500 (with 512KB extra mem, of course), and I came in contact for real with the cracktro scene, and a few demos too. This is where tracking started off for real for me, with Protracker 1.x, the clunky grey one. Then the next version, 2.something, all the way to 3.15. At some point, I bought a Roland M-GS64 rackmount synth, an earlier version of the smaller SoundCanvas boxes. I picked up Music-X for the Amiga, and delved into MIDI.

Eventually, PC's came onto the scene and I moved to Fasttracker, which I used almost exclusively until I got tired of the uselessness of making music in a DOS box. I switched to Acid Pro, for a few years (and picked up piano playing), until about 2 years ago, when I found Renoise.

Then I got really crazy and started with photography and travelling, with a Panasonic FZ10 prosumer camera (upgraded to an FZ30 last month).

EDIT: I forgot, I used to use "Carcall" as my only handle for a long time. If you search on scene.org with that you'll find some of my stuff from Assembly during the years. And I used "Rustload" at some point too... man, I'm starting to feel old now. :)
Last edited by fbjon on Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_
Image Chotoro gallery
fbjon
Regular
Regular

Postby w473rh34d » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:33 am

Hi folks,

please let me also drop some information. I'm 32 years old and doing computerstuff for more than 23 years now. In that time I learned to code, design and make some noise. I was an active member of the Atari ST demoscene, as a member of the demogroup "RISK", which was a member of "The Alliance" and (nowadays still is) a member of "The Independent" and "Federation Against Nature".

In my job I'm mainly doing "web-related stuff", like designing and realizing flash-specials, writing XML/XSLT based data conversion engines (for database im- and export), developing intranet/extranet applications using java, writing workflow-supporting tools in c/c++/c# and such stuff. In my spare time I develop small applications in Visual Studio and Assembler, track some songs with renoise and design/retouch with Photoshop. So, i would simply say I'm doing a lot stuff, designing, composing and coding inclusive.

Due to my "computer childhood" i'm a fan of chip music and nearly any synthetic sound as long as it kicks ass. I like to make music which 'polarizes' a bit, so you need to 'decide explicitly' whether or not you like single elements used in the tune in order to decide whether you like or hate the tune.

Thanks to Ripguy (who is also a member of Risk and one of the fucking best composers I ever met - say some musicstyle and he does an absolutely awesome tune in of that "style" - no matter if bigbeat, raggae, easy listening, rock... and not only "tracked" but also "live" with band... brmbl). Thanks to him I already "started tracking" on the Amiga/Atari Soundtrackers like ProTracker.

So, to complete the list, I'm gambling ego-shooters (yes, wanna perform an amok run some day ;) like quake 4, UT, COD2 and so on. Somtimes I like the consoles better (Playstation 2, Dreamcast, N64) because of the "lazy-driving-some-gran-tourismo-on-the-sofa" factor.

best regards to all competitors, I hope we can make the sdcompo rock a lot of people,
waterhead aka. danny oneway / risk
w473rh34d
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:56 am

i like reading everybody else's stories!

i was born in 1981 & live in North Carolina (america). didn't get a very usable computer until 1993. at that time, i discovered the local BBS scene and discovered mod's and demos. watched tons of demos and listened to tons of mods, especially liking mods by jester of sanity, purple motion, leviathan... tons of other people whose names i can't remember anymore. at this time from 1993-1995, i was too busy playing Descent and Doom (and entering highschool) to be botthered with making my own music. i probably became interested in making my own music around 1995, but my computer health was deterorating (it was crashing whenever i would run any programs that used the soundcard)... oh yes, playing descent on kali with NO SOUND, that's a great memory. anyway ...

in 1997 i started working for a university as a temp and they loaned me a laptop.. so i loaded up scream tracker and started messing around. at this same time, i discovered #trax on efnet.. i didn't hang out there ALL the time, but i was there some, under the name "plikt". in #trax i met Lugnut and Meekbaby, both of whom are also from North Carolina... (side note: Meekbaby is now known as Machine Drum, tstewart, and Syndrone.. he's signed on several semi-major labels and goes touring around the world. go Travis!!).. after chatting shit and sharing tunes with them for a year or so, we decided to form our own record label, "auDecK records", which was supposed to be for IDM and jungle mostly (i did a lot of jungle in those days). in 1998 i finally started using Impulse Tracker. by 1999, the label had fizzled out, we just really didn't know how to promote ourselves very well. concurrently, from 1997-1999, i was getting very interested in mainstream jungle music (goldie, dj hype, roni size, grooverider, etc) and got some turntables and was learning how to mix.

around 2000-2001, i started getting more into house music and sold all my jungle records and bought funky/disco house stuff instead :D (i never have written much house music, just as an aside) ...
sometime around 1999, i participated in the X60, X90, and X120 compos on #trax a few times. also started my own X90 with a guy called "aeon flux", although it only lasted a few weeks. i think we called it CCC (computer composition competition)

around 2001 i changed my name to "i/o"

from 1999-2001, i was going to lots of raves & clubs and writing some decent tracks by then. i also had a band with my friend Lane and we used to terrorize the local coffee shops in my town with our hardcore blend of jungle and SCREAMING! in 2001, i upgraded my computer to windows 2000, and so it became difficult to use impulse tracker anymore. i suffered a dry spell from 2002-2003 when i couldn't really find a good program to use. i toyed around with modplug tracker, but wasn't very impressed. in 2003, i had heard good things about Reason and i was planning on getting it & learning how to use it, but my Descent buddy DJ Jinx informed me about "fruity loops" and how good it was to use with VST's ... so i tried fruity and liked it OK, but i LOVED vsti's. .. only finished one song with fruity because i HATED the workflow... but discovered renoise a year ago and it's PERFECT!!! i've been working on my production technique over the last year or so -- getting every little hihat into its own channel in the tracker so i can tweak every single detail about it seperately from the rest of the song. i've also got a new band with my girlfriend, in which i play keyboards and trombone.

what am i good at? hmm
i LOVE dancing. i'm good at dance dance revolution, but also at "real life" dancing, too. i like to play video games (descent, hexen, rune, thief, drakan, UT, trackmania, richard burns rally. currently playing oblivion). raising my son -- he's pretty funny and very cool!
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby imode » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:05 pm

I don't really remember my roots.

I started in 1996 after we got our first powerful 486/33. My brother, who was may more into the internet art scene than I was into anything other than playing games, had met this one guy online who introduced him to Scream Tracker 3. Sadly, I forget this guys name. All I remember is that he would be ousted from the scene from copying someone's song at some later date. Anyway...

I was heavy into guitars and basically anything to do with music at the time, so I jumped at it. Printed out the docs, read them on the bus ride to school every single morning. I remember pressing some key to see the note dot display in scream tracker which absolutely fascinated me. I thought to myself, if I can get my red green blue and white dots to move that fast one day, I shall rocketh the universe.

I set out to track my first song, and god it was horrible. Sonicade has heard it before. I laugh about it now. It was all this crazy, overbearing symphonic, timpani beating crap with depressing apocalyptic names like 'Red Sunshine' and 'End of the World'. I sucked for a long time. Really, REALLY sucked.

I started listening to more music from Purple Motion, Skaven, Necros, Siren, and the list goes on. I was still in my absolute sucky period when my brother sent one of my songs to Siren (Alexander Brandon, I forget what he called himself back then, but it was while he was doing his Necros mix). Siren said it was horrible, LOL, but it had promise. So I set out to refine, redo and basically track. Started listening to a lot of Radix and fell in love with simple ballad melody type songs.

Started Soundev with Outshined. I don't even remember how I met this outrageous fellow, but he rocked. For fuck's sake, the man was Finnish, how could he not rock? But more importantly, our styles put together were pretty crazy, and we ended up doing a lot of coop work because he and I were both masters of the 'WIP' folder. Others came and joined, but after a whirwind first year or so, Soundev largely grew inactive.

I joined a Hungarian demo group called Exceed and my demo music repertoire grew, as did my reputation for making cheesy beep-boop doskpop inspired demo music. Exceed eventually outgrew me, moving on to bigger and better things while I quietly faded away.

I quit around 2000, mostly because I ran out of inspiration, and out of constant frustration of trying to track in Windows 2000. By the time WindowsXP came around, tracking was long gone. Now 2006, here we go again!
imode
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:26 am

imode wrote:I started in 1996 after we got our first powerful 486/33.

heeh heeh, 486/33 was sucky in 1996! there were like pentium 200's out by then.

but i feel your pain... when my main computer broke in 1999, i had to use a 486/33 for about 8 months until i could get a k6-2 333 for xmas. did some good tracks in impulse tracker on that 486/33 , actually :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby MickRip » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:19 am

I started using trackers 15 years ago.

Living in an isolated technological desert called Newcastle, Australia, my c64 beginnings were a little vague. I didn't even know what a "SID" was, or a tracker. Which was a shame really. I could have used the head-start. I did use a program called "TMS" (the advanced music system) by Rainbird when I was 10 or 11, which was notation based thing. Tunes were cute. Had no arps - percussion was limited, it wasn't a technical program, but I always loved computer music. I pretty much had no contact with the outside computer-music world, except for game tracks (Jeroen Tel was my hero; I actually keep phone/internet contact with Jeroen nowadays, which is quite a leap!). I had no feedback about my music, no guidance for about 5 years! However I was learning the guitar pretty much from the ages from 10 to 21. Started studying music full-time when I was 18. Quit that, now I'm a PHP developer - music nowdays is just a way to vent.

Moved onto the Amiga when I was 15. Discovered trackers. Bought a PC when I was 18, discovered ST3, then discovered FT2, then discovered IT3. (in the space of about 4 years). During that period I also discovered the internet - being stuck in the middle of nowhere for so long, it was amazing to talk to someone like-minded.

Didn't really touch a tracker until I found Renoise. I love renoise.
MickRip
Regular
Regular

Postby groovyone » Mon May 15, 2006 8:23 pm

I've been round you see..

Picked up all sorts of scene diseases: like GM, MODs, and S3Ms but I managed to finally get some ITs which helped get rid of the S3Ms. But goddamn now seems like I've somehow gone and contracted XMs too :(. Thang GOD I didn't get SIDs. That would have really screwed me over!

Ok ok.. I'm not being totally straight with you I must admit. I've also experimented as well with psychadelics, got a good buzz for a short time but that really wasn't for me. Now I've stumbled onto really high quality Renoise stuff. Blows your mind!

LOL!

So I've probably been tracking since some of you were in nappies. 1988 I think was the first year I started on Amiga. What's that make it now? 18 years?

Been writing music for about 22 years. Started on Midi before Tracking when MusicX was out on Amiga. That just didn't stop the itch. GM bites plainly said.

I'm not classically trained or anything, i just pull music out my ass. I associate it with Yakult. Give anything the right culture and it'll grow!

I was lost for a while growing up. Music stabalized me and gave me purpose. I ended up becomming an IT professional but that sucked butt so I quit and work in audio now doing what I love.

Speaking o'which I should go get work done!
groovyone
Regular
Regular

Postby Harmony » Mon May 15, 2006 9:59 pm

Been writing music for about 22 years

You can tell :wink: I was seriously impressed by your SD2 entry and look forward to the 80's thAng (or are you pulling our leg about that genre??)
---------------------
www.alarinmusic.com
---------------------
Harmony
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Tracking / Demoscene