Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

your background affects whether something sounds "gamey

Postby organic io » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:06 pm

i like music with tunes... what can i say, i'm a chord whore
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby plusminus » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:59 pm

fbjon wrote:On some days I think this applies to some musicians of any genre. :)

But perhaps you mean that it's more common in the noise biz. I don't know really, I'm not "into" it, so to say, with some exceptions.

EDIT: uh ok, evidently that's what you meant since you said so in your post, now that I read to the end of it

That was my point, really :)
The lack of talent is abstracted, people think they can make up for not knowing what they're doing by making things LOUD AND OVERLY AGGRESSIVE.

But I like music with chords too. As long as it's not always I-IV-V

And I like Skinny Puppy. I bought 3 puppy albums at once a few weeks ago. Went out to get the new one and the store was having a sale...

I just like music, you know? :)
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby crosfire » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:06 am

I like 1% of noise music. I like whwn noise is used as a expresion in an ambient/drone/glitch song, and I like some of the guitar noise (it can get realy mellodic)like shora. I dont like merzbow to much. Most of his tracks are interesting, nothing more. I think that this makes the strictle noise a music not for listening, but a music to listen once :P. I am also a chord whore, but it is not about the harmony, I like to screw with disonance :D. I think that in some the reve comunities is a stupid fashion for saing: "yeah I listen to techno, but it is only techno, I like punkrock, or grindcore", witch is a regular pose. It is sad. :(
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby fbjon » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:36 am

crosfire wrote:I like 1% of noise music. I like whwn noise is used as a expresion in an ambient/drone/glitch song, and I like some of the guitar noise (it can get realy mellodic)like shora. I dont like merzbow to much. Most of his tracks are interesting, nothing more. I think that this makes the strictle noise a music not for listening, but a music to listen once :P. I am also a chord whore, but it is not about the harmony, I like to screw with disonance :D. I think that in some the reve comunities is a stupid fashion for saing: "yeah I listen to techno, but it is only techno, I like punkrock, or grindcore", witch is a regular pose. It is sad. :(

Dissonance can be just as important as harmony, for sure. Few people ever venture into that territory though, so the novelty factor also tends to kick in.

I think I like noise the most when it's simply pleasing to listen to. Taking harsh sounds, and shaping them so they still sound gritty but don't tire you out is a challenge.
_
Image Chotoro gallery
fbjon
Regular
Regular

Postby overthruster » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:26 pm

i think dissonance is a learned thing, as far as a melodic/harmonic context goes...

i read this book that was all crtics tearing apart classical music when it was coming out (bach, debussy etc), that is now accepted as "masterpieces" etc.. and frequently they would say something sounds "oriental" like that was a disgusting thing and "oriental" music is this scary fucked up sound, but its just a set of sounds that they werent used to, really... and the funny thing (i sort of think) is that none of the pieces they were refferring to had 1/4th tones or anything like that or 15 note scales etc

but its what you grow up with and are told and accept to be "bad" or "good"

i cant really defend noise as something that needs "talent" or is "good" anymore than i can defend free jazz, (and not that either needs "defending") but i think they are quite similar... there is alot of crap in the noise genres and scenes that are pretty much putting distortion on something and putting a stupid song title to it etc, but it does take a bit of work and an experienced ear to produce something like merzbow or sickness or kazumoto endo, but to the "uninitiated" it just sounds like harsh sounds and crap, pretty much like peter brotzmann or kaoru abe or anthony braxton or even sun ra just sound like "some kid squealing on a saxophone" to someone that likes oh, say kenny g or john tesh or something and thinks that is what jazz should sound like.

i think its alot more just what people like and feel like they can make sense of... i realised maybe last year, that as crappy as sublime or u2 or the used sounds to me, the music i usually listen to and produce sounds about twenty times as retarded to them

so i guess my point is:
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:47 am

i guess you didn't have a point then???

btw, the first time i saw sun ra on youtube, i was just like .... :shock:
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby paulnewns » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:02 am

I was personally brought up on my Dad continuously listening to the Beatles/John Lennon/Paul Mcartney. My mum listening to anything and my elder sister listening to Michael Jackson and Madonna. I spent most of my youth listening to all of the above pus whatever pop music was going around at the time. Started listening exclusivley to hiphop/rap in nineties going onto nineties dance music. No laughing now I also own the full back catalogue of albums of Genesis from 1969. I can still recall though (vividly) listening to the sounds eminating from my Atari 2600 (Ms pac man, battlezone,dig dug etc), vic 20, c64, nes, snes +megadrive, amiga and so on (i'm sure you all know the computer game history). I feel I have always been influenced by electronic game music of one form or another since I have been able to play samples on a computer. I mostly listen to (slightly depressing) guitar based music still, Radiohead, Brand New, My Chemical Romance, Arctic Monkeys, Muse etc though. Just a last point, I did a 'dance music production' course a few years ago at a local college and the tutor told me something that has always stuck. He said 'We are going to make music with our ears'. Which makes sense to me.
:twisted: I like this emoticon :twisted:
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Previous

Return to Tracking / Demoscene