Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

your background affects whether something sounds "gamey

Postby organic io » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:47 pm

hseiken wrote:North Carolina? Greetings from Norfolk.

awesome, not too far. i thought you were from like china because of your nickname :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:48 pm

oh i didn't know that triphop was still popular. i have not regularly been to the cd section in the past 7 or so years ... but i used to buy a shitload of cds back in the day
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby plusminus » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:18 pm

Maybe trip-hop was the wrong word... big beat? I don't know I suck at genres :p

Yeah, most of my music comes from either MP3s or mailorder anyhow.
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby overthruster » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:10 pm

most ppl i know that listen to/buy alot of electronic music go to RECORD SHOPS that specifically have electronic music, and most of them are djs, honestly, or at least have turntables at home and go to shows alot and buy the stuff right from the artist themselves, which i think is mostly the case with alot of under the radar sort of groups/whatev

but i mean, just from the stuff i see on the internet or whatever (i dont really get out much) it seems that electronics in general, especially that daftpunky sort of techno stuff (justice, mr oizo, vitalic) and more mentalist stuff like venetian snares/some of that west coast shit is really blowing up atm

...and most of the gay guys i know listen to royksopp and that sort of newer pretty listening music (that you can dance to) ;]

ALSO i mean, it seems alot of people dont really realise that pretty much all that mainstream rnb hiphop etc is pretty much entirely electronic, timbaland, jay-z, three 6 mafia, beyonce, britney etc, blah blah blah

but to stay a little on subject, that goes back to my um, original post in this thread that it sounds gamey because the focus isn't on the bassline and vocals...

"electronic listening music" ??
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:53 pm

i used to buy vinyl, before all the good record shops in NC closed

speaking of r&b, my ipod ran out of batteries while i was in the car the other day so i turned on the radio and listened to a hiphop station for a couple of minutes.... i was highly disappointed in the production quality of the beats.... they must spend about 15 minutes on the drumtrack, here's a kick, here's a hihat, here's a handclap, ooh wow there's your drumtrack !! wee-haw!!! :?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby maydaycapsize » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:14 am

I reckon heaps of tracker music still sounds "gamey".....

I come from an indie rock/ post rock background and to be honest I actually dislike most electronic music....
I'm sorry to say that I find 90% of trance stuff boring/ humorous

but I looove stuff like mu'm, radiohead (kid A) caribou, millicent, clue to kalo, pole, melodic aphex etc

I also appreciate melodic dnb, dub, breakcore and electroclash

I originally used floops but I started to get bored with it and tried out buzz, renoise, psycle, modplug etc.....probably mainly because they're free/shareware.....and to be honest I nearly gave up on them because the demo stuff sounded so gamey...I heard hunz' new stuff myspace.com/hunz and realised that you could do pretty beautiful and imaginative stuff with buzz..... and so I persisted......

The main thing that makes stuff sound gamey is synth solos and pitchbends......
It just sounds so 'test drive' or 'Cal games'

I am in awe at the techniques used in heaps of mods......All the super tech stuff....crazy.....but to my ears it is very dated/ funny......
maydaycapsize
Newb
Newb

Postby crosfire » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:27 am

I LOVE THE SYNTH EMULATION OF ELECTRIC GUITAR SOLOS!!!!! :D
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby overthruster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:46 am

i started using renoise again because of venetian snares HAHAHA(also i want really satisfied with the sound alot of my modplug stuff was ending up) but i have been using trackers since i started doing electronic music really, started on modplug and lsdj and got renoise when the beta or alpha or 1.0 or whatever came out, for a while played mostly with modplug and electribes and came back to renoise heavily early last year

for some reason it seems a little wierd to me when alot of people that make electronic music dont really listen to that much electronic music, i dislike trance as much as the next idm listener (smirk) but i have met a number of electronics producers that listen to almost exclusively rock music... i find that strange for some reason...

in noise music it seems to be even more rampant, as in, MANY MANY noise producers (not world class ones of course) DONT EVER LISTEN TO NOISE

it boggles my mind.

but yeah i agree, synth solos totally sound gamey.
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:25 pm

i listen to a lot of female vocals pop music. when i do listen to electronic music, it's usually trance :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby plusminus » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:27 pm

overthruster wrote:in noise music it seems to be even more rampant, as in, MANY MANY noise producers (not world class ones of course) DONT EVER LISTEN TO NOISE

I think this is because a lot of the bad noise-music makers are simply people that haven't grasped how to write a melody or come up with an interesting drum beat. So they make really abrasive dsp-heavy music, that's no more talented than if they tried making traditional songs, except they don't listen to noise in the first place so they can't tell that it's bad.

(I like noise tracks, but I think it's the genre of music that has the the lowest ratio of talented artists to crap ones, by far. I also think that, genereally speaking, "analog" noise music > digital noise music.)
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby overthruster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:45 pm

:O analog vs digital?

the pandoras can of worms has been opened!! LOL

when i was on the idm making list, pretty much everyone on there was like, OBSESSIVE autechre listeners, contsantly fretting over how EXACTLY to make a certain sound at 4:24 in this certain autechre track blah blah BOUNCING BALL RAARRGH

the mario theme song has lyrics

http://www.destructoid.com/super-mario-bros-theme-has-lyrics-30498.phtml
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:49 pm

i saw that post, but it's incorrect.

the real lyrics are:

swing your arms from side to side
come on it's time to go do the mario

i've never been able to get into idm

oh well
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby plusminus » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:27 am

overthruster wrote::O analog vs digital?

the pandoras can of worms has been opened!! LOL

Hahaha... I'm really not an analog purist, nor a digital one. Almost all the music I make is with computers, and that's mainly a convienience factor.

But with noise tracks it seems like it's so easy to chain a bunch of plugins together and feed it whatever random samples you've got, where as non-digital (more correct opposite than simply "analog" I think) noise usually has some more creativity to it. Maybe? Listening to DSP abuse at 102 dB usually bores me, but watching people scrape contact mics through gravel while bowing sheet metal, etc., is fantastic.
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby crosfire » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:45 am

I listen to Skinny puppy. Ofcourse I didn't knew about what it is, until it started to be about me. But I think that I realised it quite quick, so the interaction with tha band started to be two-sided, so interact my ass :P.
Just a digresion :P
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby fbjon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:21 pm

plusminus wrote:I think this is because a lot of the bad noise-music makers are simply people that haven't grasped how to write a melody or come up with an interesting drum beat. So they make really abrasive dsp-heavy music, that's no more talented than if they tried making traditional songs, except they don't listen to noise in the first place so they can't tell that it's bad.

On some days I think this applies to some musicians of any genre. :)

But perhaps you mean that it's more common in the noise biz. I don't know really, I'm not "into" it, so to say, with some exceptions.

EDIT: uh ok, evidently that's what you meant since you said so in your post, now that I read to the end of it
_
Image Chotoro gallery
fbjon
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Tracking / Demoscene