Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

Dealing With Negative Critiques

Postby Directionless » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:58 pm

paulnewns wrote:Agree with the general comments. But what are we being judged against? Perfection in your chosen genre? Or are we basing it on what as gone before? Are we purely making comments based on each others tracks? Do we judge on technical ability or how much we 'like' the song? A song can be technically astounding and bore me to death.

This is basically the most subjective process in the world.

It's like how someone can win American Idol but you still might want to stab them in the throat when they're singing withg that cheesy grin.

there's no rules and nobody here knows the secret on what will be the next big hit with the masses. If we did, we'd probably not be here.

The best feature about this place is that we influence each other, not just by our comments but by each other's music.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:02 pm

paulnewns wrote:Agree with the general comments. But what are we being judged against? Perfection in your chosen genre? Or are we basing it on what as gone before? Are we purely making comments based on each others tracks? Do we judge on technical ability or how much we 'like' the song? A song can be technically astounding and bore me to death.

me personally, when i comment, i try to offer at least a couple of things positive, and also try to include what i think could be improved ... for the benefit of the artist so they can hopefully become a better songwriter. i hope people will do the same with me and i really don't mind if people tear me up.

when i vote, i really don't factor technical ability very highly in my voting ... there have been plenty of rounds when the person who got 1st didn't even show up in my top 5, but i might have voted 2nd or 3rd for someone who ended up getting near last
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby paulnewns » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:58 pm

I found it very hard taking any critical views when I first came on here. I find it easier now and extremely valuable. I intend to start giving a lot more useful critical advice myself. The problem I personally have is not wanting to sound too preachy. I don't want to come across as "I am better than you". Need to try and find a middle ground.
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Directionless » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:45 pm

paulnewns wrote:I found it very hard taking any critical views when I first came on here. I find it easier now and extremely valuable. I intend to start giving a lot more useful critical advice myself. The problem I personally have is not wanting to sound too preachy. I don't want to come across as "I am better than you". Need to try and find a middle ground.

Right. It can be good to censor yourself. Also because this is art, and we are all coming from various disciplines. Some might be based in the more formal or established, others more on the ghetto underground side of life.

It doesn't really make much sense, for example, for a music theory buff to preach on to the dude that just wants to "fuck shit up". Sure, he probably won't win the round, but if that is really what anybody is here for, their perspective is very limited. :)

Art isn't a billboard chart style of competition. What sells triple platinum is often based on corporate marketing and stupid consumers that wouldn't know genuine art if you smashed their faces in with it.

The real round we need to win is in the battle with ourselves, discovering the talents as artists and pursuing them. Or just plain having fun! :D
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby paulnewns » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:32 am

Love it when these forums go all 'deep'. Nice post directionless. I have always enjoyed art it all its forms. I find that as I get older though, I can enjoy art for arts sake. See the beauty in the effort. That it is greater than the sum of its parts and has actually come from a thoughful human being (or otherwise :wink: ). Long live sdcompo!!!!
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Previous

Return to Tracking / Demoscene