Promote an artist or Event/Gig. Announce a new track or album release.

Music production blog

Music production blog

Postby organic io » Mon May 12, 2008 2:44 pm

I've started a music production blog. It was originally conceived as an output to keep track of my upcoming music releases, but it's grown into something much more as in less than a week I've already made commentary on originality, artistic integrity, mixing, DIY microphone preamps, and even cavemen. Cavemen? Oh yes. So check it out, come on down to

http://organic-io.blogspot.com/
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Mon May 12, 2008 4:14 pm

sounds good. makes me want one of those formats instead of ranting politics. :D
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon May 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Directionless wrote:sounds good. makes me want one of those formats instead of ranting politics. :D

You should. Then we can be like rival bloggers and have discourse back and forth via our blogs :)

"FUCK YOU D-LESS, NES SOUND CHIP SOUNDS BETTER THAN GENESIS SOUND CHIP" :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue May 13, 2008 12:18 pm

I wrote a new article on being pidgeonholed and artistic integrity. Check it out :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Tue May 13, 2008 2:40 pm

organic io wrote:I wrote a new article on being pidgeonholed and artistic integrity. Check it out :)

i will indeed. you have a comprehensive writing style. kudos to you.

as for me making a music blog, haha. man i dunno, i'm tempted. it would be funny. i'd have a lot of one-liner posts like: "curse these samples and the lack of any good pads!" ;)
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Directionless » Tue May 13, 2008 2:44 pm

organic io wrote:
Directionless wrote:"FUCK YOU D-LESS, NES SOUND CHIP SOUNDS BETTER THAN GENESIS SOUND CHIP" :D

Dude, its all about the Genesis YM2612!! I'm sending Yuzo Koshiro and Jesper Kyd over to your house to rough you up.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue May 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Directionless wrote:you have a comprehensive writing style.

Thanks man. I must admit I picked up some pointers from this blog...
http://onlyagame.typepad.com/

The most screwy part is that I have all these thoughts in my head, but they are all jumbled up. It's only when I try to write them that they become coherent. If I tried to tell you one of my posts in a conversation, it would end up being like 2 sentences. :(

Directionless wrote:Dude, its all about the Genesis YM2612!! I'm sending Yuzo Koshiro and Jesper Kyd over to your house to rough you up.

I know it's technically superior, there's just something yucky sounding about it to me. The purity of the NES's simple square waves sounds more pleasing to me :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Tue May 13, 2008 3:06 pm

organic io wrote:
Directionless wrote:Dude, its all about the Genesis YM2612!! I'm sending Yuzo Koshiro and Jesper Kyd over to your house to rough you up.

I know it's technically superior, there's just something yucky sounding about it to me. The purity of the NES's simple square waves sounds more pleasing to me :)

Yucky? I think you mean beautifully fuzzy. :)
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue May 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Directionless wrote:Yucky? I think you mean beautifully fuzzy. :)

Yes, fuzzy like fart sounds :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Tue May 13, 2008 3:37 pm

organic io wrote:
Directionless wrote:Yucky? I think you mean beautifully fuzzy. :)

Yes, fuzzy like fart sounds :)

You can take your NES chip noise with the sonic fidelity of monaural circuit bending and shove it up your ass, mister! ;)
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue May 13, 2008 4:21 pm

hmm, kinky :)

Maybe it's just because I haven't heard any compositions I like much on Genesis. Give me some examples of games/levels you really like the music on. I never had a Genesis so I don't have as much experience with it. I'll try to post .nsf files of my favourite NES tunes soon though.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Tue May 13, 2008 4:49 pm

organic io wrote:hmm, kinky :)

Maybe it's just because I haven't heard any compositions I like much on Genesis. Give me some examples of games/levels you really like the music on. I never had a Genesis so I don't have as much experience with it. I'll try to post .nsf files of my favourite NES tunes soon though.

Streets of Rage 2 - http://www.zophar.net/download.php?file=gym/sor2.rar
Contra - Hard Corps - http://www.zophar.net/download.php?file=gym/contrahc.rar
Gunstar Heroes - http://www.zophar.net/download.php?file=gym/gunstar.rar
Rocket Knight Adventures - http://www.zophar.net/download.php?file=gym/rknight.rar
Shinobi 3 - http://www.zophar.net/download.php?file=gym/shinobi3.rar
Gauntlet IV - http://www.zophar.net/download.php?file=gym/gauntlet.rar

BTW, here's the NSFs already on my HD:

Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Directionless » Tue May 13, 2008 7:41 pm

Streets of Rage 2 - Pretty much the whole fucking soundtrack! Quintessential Genesis soundtrack, imo.
(SOR 1&3 are really good soundtracks as well. But 2 is the best)

Contra - Hard Corps - Most of this soundtrack. Esp songs like: AC Violence, Yoru no Nikusyokujyu, Guillotine, Simon 1994RD, The Hard Corps Blues.

Gunstar Heroes - (in track numbers) 81, 85, 89, 8D, 94, 95.

Rocket Knight Adventures - Sub Boss, Boss, Level 1-1, Level 3, Level 4, Level 5-2A, Level 5-2B, Level 6.

Shinobi 3 - It's all about 'Inner Darkside'! Sonicade would really dig 'Japonesque'. hehe Quite a few cool groovy tracks on this one.

Gauntlet IV - Sortie! Transparent Obstacle, Whispers of Phantom, Adventures of Iron, Back of Beyond.

There's a couple Jesper Kyd GYMs i don't have the URLs to that I highly recommend: Adventures of Batman & Robin, and Subterrania.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue May 13, 2008 9:59 pm

OK so you have most of the songs I wanted you to hear. I actually haven't listened to many nsf files so I don't know how those directories look inside, but here are the songs I think are best:

ninja gaiden - level 4-2
double dragon 2 - level 2
mega man 3 - "magnet man" level music

I will download and check out some of the songs you posted. I've actually been playing hardcorps quite a bit lately but I didn't particularly think the music was very good. Also played through Rocket Knight adventures a year or two ago and didn't think much of its music either. I'll re-listen and check out the others though :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby mutilus » Fri May 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Cool blog mate, it's really interesting to hear someone's thoughts about the music making process. I'll be looking out for future entries, especially anything that sheds more light on how the hell to use bloody compressors
mutilus
Newb
Newb

Next

Return to Announcements