Promote an artist or Event/Gig. Announce a new track or album release.

RPM Challenge, or, album release

RPM Challenge, or, album release

Postby chunter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 pm

I did a project for the RPM Challenge, info is here: http://cedtm.wordpress.com/

40% of it is chiptune sounding, because I based it upon everything else I was doing musically for the month of February, and I've also entered Battle of the Bits' Winter Chip. I thought I wasn't going to finish, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the tracks flow from one to next.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby tenfour » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:46 am

i love this stuff man. creative melodies and atmosphere. how did you muster this much inspiration in 1 month?
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Will have to listen later in the week :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:34 pm

I really really like

"All My Days"

The vocoder sound is a bit "Oldfield-like" - mmmmhh
And The melody is so sweet
Love the laid-back pace
Weired solo interesting contrast to the other parts

This is very good and very catchy tune !!

Moreover "Outcast" also nice. Did you record
slow and play faster ? If not you must have 20 fingers ;-)-

Moreover "Soft Weekend" yeaahh GUITAR !!!!
Recorded or artificial ? I'll bring guitar into
skystation for sure.

Greetings

BTW: 10 songs in one month ? Crazy !!!
No wonder there was not more time for Skystation
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:02 pm

That's right, the rule is ten songs or thirty-five minutes... I was failing on the minutes and went with the songs.

I think you mean "Overcast," is a Sega Master System, so that was programmed in a tracker. That's three square waves and a noise.

Real guitar on final track, that's what my 12-string with glued-in pickup sounds like.

Thank you all for listens and feedback.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Dude... I never got around to listening to this, until now. Really impressed with what I've heard so far.

I remembered about yours because my girlfriend signed me and her up for RPM 2011. I'll download yours to the ipod tonight and listen in full and post comments later.

Peace

-Scott
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Please let us know when you've started, there's a blog they have you make and all.

Good luck!
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:15 pm

chunter wrote:Please let us know when you've started, there's a blog they have you make and all.

Good luck!

I'll probably just let you know when we're done, which will likely be February 28 :)

Anybody else doing the challenge this year? chunter, Paul, Airmann, nt, I challenge YOU to the challenge! :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:13 pm

I can do it, but if I do it I will need to put off the "90s Platform Revisited" project until Spring...

I'm considering doing it with the ST-xx samples as a theme...
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 am

tenfour wrote:i love this stuff man. creative melodies and atmosphere. how did you muster this much inspiration in 1 month?

After listening to the album multiple times this past week, I echo this sentiment... Why didn't I listen to this 2 years ago?

Your video game background and influence is very evident here. It's all composed and put together very well. I'll just write a few comments about some of the tracks. I wish I had time for a more thorough review because I do indeed like this, but unfortunately my schedule will not permit.

1 - happy street - Very happy indeed. Catchy melody.

2 - geocache - I think this is my favorite track. Great chord progression, great atmosphere. Wonderful work on the e-piano... But the absolute best part is near the end when the bassline gets kind of 80's at 2:50... !!! Chord progression plus the melody here is splendid. It makes me want to do a remix :)

3 - upgrade - Very much reminds me of C64/SID tunes in sound and spirit. Very well done

4 - Lift - This brings me right back to the days of playing "Shadowgate" on NES. You ever played that? It's hauntingly similar :)

5 - Winterfunk - Really reminds me of town music on an 8 or early 16 bit RPG game. Great melody and rhythm

8 - Overcast - Holy crap! It's like you ripped this straight out of a NES Megaman game. Except you didn't. So well done... Lots of energy, sweet melody, chords & harmony. It would sit perfectly in a Megaman game.... for real. Are you sure you didn't compose for Capcom in the 90's? Well, maybe this is my favorite. It's tied with geocache.

9 - All my days - I remember this! Great tune. Is the RPM version different than the SDcompo version? I don't have the SDC version on my ipod to check and can't play mp3s on my work PC at the moment..

10 - Soft Weekend - Nice combination of guitar & tracked style. Did you play the guitar yourself? Do you have more guitar project stuff?

I have a newfound respect for your songwriting, Chris!

Please do one for 2011!

Peace
-Scott

edit: I'm also curious about what you used to track it.. Was it a variety of trackers? Obviously at least a couple of Renoise tracks in there... But it sounds like you may have used an NES tracker too? Or your IT --> NES conversion trick?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:58 am

Happy Street - is a less than 48K IT file for Winter Chip that year, tracked in Chibitracker

Geocache - was an IT one-hour compo piece that was extremely rearranged in Renoise. To date it is my second most popular song and believe it or not, has made me about $7 in itunes/amazon sales.

Upgrade - a filler jam programmed with SID VSTs in Renoise

Lift - a psg2 track that I decided wasn't good enough for Winter Chip that year

Winterfunk - a S3M2NSF for Winter Chip

Antivirus - Renoise controlling Kore "Pretty Cannibal" preset with dub delays, and SID VSTs

Slow Weekend - a S3M2NSF track for Winter Chip

Overcast - psg2 piece for Winter Chip

All My Days - this is identical to the sdcompo version except that it uses alternate VSTs for mastering. Someday I want to record it with a "real" (not vocoder) vocal

Soft Weekend - Renoise reprise of Slow Weekend using the "All My Days" pack (I think) and my guitar

I can provide links later but if you can find them...

Snowflakes from the holiday round is the same style, as is a round where I called the track "unfinished." The last song in "On a Rainy Day" is done that way, and there is video of me playing that guitar on YouTube. It's a cheap laminated 12-string with an equally cheap pickup glued in its soundhole.

If you want to try to remix Geocache I'll dig up the source files and PM you
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:44 pm

chunter wrote:If you want to try to remix Geocache I'll dig up the source files and PM you

Dude, I somehow missed this entire post and never knew you responded! Sorry.

Making the big cash on Geocache I see. Ironic... It's geo cash! Wow, I apologize, I'm still very tired from the several all nighters I pulled to get our rpm done :)

But yes, I'll definitely take you up on your offer for the source file of Geocache!

Quick RPM-ethics question... Cami and I are not happy with the mixing on our album. We did most of the tracking within the last week, and so it was very much rushed to get it all done. I took the CD to the post office at 11:50 AM yesterday. The previous 24 hours before that, I had spent about 18 of them in front of the PC working on the songs.

So ... We are definitely going to fix the mixing in a lot of our tracks. My question to you is, is it considered acceptable to upload the better mixed versions of the tracks to the RPM website, even though we worked on them after the deadline?

Because that's most likely what we're going to do, whether it's kosher or not. If it was a competition, I would perish the thought... But since it's just a challenge, and the time crunch already kicked our ass into getting the songs out, we'd like to put the polish on them now. :)

What do you think?

P.S... I started listening to your 2011 entries earlier. Impressed with what I've heard so far. Will comment more later
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:54 pm

As far as the challenge goes, the cd you mail is your official result. I think you can edit your player and write in your blog at will, it doesn't need to be February, and to me, anything you create can and should be edited at will, so if you want to upload better mixes to the RPM player, why not?

Perhaps I should clean up my rougher sounding stuff too.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:01 pm

chunter wrote:As far as the challenge goes, the cd you mail is your official result. I think you can edit your player and write in your blog at will, it doesn't need to be February, and to me, anything you create can and should be edited at will, so if you want to upload better mixes to the RPM player, why not?

Perhaps I should clean up my rougher sounding stuff too.

Sweet. That is what we shall do :)

Will post mp3's here later in the week once we clean them up.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:24 pm

If you want I can put it in CEDTM's archive.org account.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Announcements