Promote an artist or Event/Gig. Announce a new track or album release.

Sad news, good news

Sad news, good news

Postby aged » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:45 am

After many weeks of thinking I've now decided to put myself on (infinite) hiatus. No more music. That's it.

Sorry. It's just a decision I should have made much earlier, and I'm not going to explain the details..

Let's just say

1. too little time
2. my self criticism is eating my inspiration

Here's a little "farewell" album I put together from my mostly
unreleased demos, stuff, noises I've made, and been making with other
people.

Some of you may find some of the songs really rude. Strong language
and bizarre lyrics can be found on Killahammer- demos :) (just skip those if you are religious or sumthnsumthn).

Don't take it so seriously. Take care of yourself and so on...

And thanks for everything!

Yours,

Niko Koivisto aka Aged

oh, the link : http://www.skystation.org/aged/farewell.zip
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 am

***Locks the door***

Intervention time!!!
Who's with me?

First off:WHAT!?!?

1. too little time
2. my self criticism is eating my inspiration

I know what both of those are like...

1 - Priority check? If something is eating up all your time, you have to examine your life and decide, is all this worth it? If music is really important to you, as I think it is, then you can find a way to make time for it. For me, family is priority, but I'm trying to fit music in there after that. Sometimes you just have to get creative... For me it was pulling out the pentium 100 laptop and deciding to use Impulse Tracker on my lunch breaks at work. :)

2 - I used to have this problem bad about 8-10 years ago. You can't do it too scrupulously though, or you will never get anything done. There are ways to change your thinking. Sometimes you just have to "let go" a bit. Try to write some songs without being so critical. Set it as the goal before you even start the song. Just to get it out, it doesn't have to be perfect. Even if you don't let very many other people hear it. And when you are done, listen to it and relish in the fact that this is something untamed and creative that you made.

You have made some really good tunes for the compo that have provided me with some memorable experiences. Among my favorites are - "I sent it back", "Grotesk party", "Furries on a highway", "Children at war part 2", and of course the unfinished "Hills" which is an incredible soundscape.

I'm going to download the farewell pack. Keep in touch Niko, and let me know when you've decided to write something new :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby CAG » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:30 pm

hey aged,

as a fellow sdcompo-goer, I must say that I went through this sort of phase myself in the last few months. I don't think you'll quit music, but if your life is too hectic or music doesn't feel right for you, then certainly, take a break.

heck, it could be a sign that you're reaching a new level of ability. these sorts of breakthroughs often happen for me in those intervening times when I felt like I was in a creative drought and things were crazy.

take a break, get through it, and I hope to see you around again.

p.s. I bet you can't resist the allure of making music forever. ;)
CAG
Regular
Regular

Postby aged » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:16 pm

1. the main problem is that I'm going to run a company,
and It's gonna like take 95% of my time for at least 2 years...

2. I've done enough unfinished s@#t. I can't even really play in a band
coz my instrumental skills suck, so far I've survived by heavy editing only .

3. I made a mistake back in 1999 or sumthnsumth, and quit
the active working on music, so i kinda fell from the train.

oh, Scott, there's some LET GO stuff in that farewell pack ;)

who knows if I'll be back when the business is running smoothly
and I can afford to build up a studio ;) But meanwhile, I gotta put
all my strength in and try to make as much money as I only can ;D
(at least, that's my goal)

Sorry for being so over dramatic :D

I'm only talking about hiatus not quitting for good.
I just need to take some distance from arts and stuff,
focus on consuming the music instead...

Let's say I'm ending an era.
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby aged » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:26 pm

and my electric guitar seems to be irreversible damaged €€%&€%#€%
damn cold air and humidity.

F#€%#!!!!!!

thank god for this tho

Maybe I'll keep practicing the guitar skills. Just play some
well known songs :P
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:14 pm

As the others have said, make sure its a hiatus and not a total exit like imode. I'd hate to lose both of you soundev'rs.

It's understandable that you need to devote some serious time to your business. Just make sure you don't stop feeding your creative side.

Cheers,
Kentaro
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Noooo don't do it!

You're just too perfectionistic....
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby paulnewns » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Wow, a bit dramatic but I can totally see where your coming from.
The thoughts of wanting and not being able to can be terribly draining.
Come back in a few years. I intend to delve in and out for most of my life.
I think we all should.
Good luck aged.
Surely you can listen and comment occasionally ;) :)

Peace and suchlike...
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby paulnewns » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 pm

One more thing, as the creative side of you is obviously important, I think you will find that you can't ignore it.
It tends to lie dormant for a while but you will begin to realise something is missing.
It will need feeding you know! Even if it is just a little :)
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby aged » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:43 pm

btw. the album planned to release during this year >
the first demo is also included in farewell-pack and it's called "did you see where it came from".

(here's the part where someone who knows my past says : 'she came from the sea', blah stupd)
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Airmann » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Hey Aged :-O,

Liked your music (e.g. Skystation Burning)
and I don't like to hear the word "infinite"

Think I understand the time problematic - it can be frustrating if there's just to few time left for doing what one actually have planed. Maybe one solution would be to lower the expectations, but maybe that's not so easy either.

I Feel sorry about the skystation project. Didn't work out well, actually - though it started nicely. Hey - but at least we tried !

Hope that creativity will finally win over you

Wish you the best :-)
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:09 pm

I understand where you're coming from. Rest assured that nothing is completely impossible if you want it. I made no music at all between 2002-2004, and very little between 1999-2005. I credit irc channel #mod_shrine for getting me into feeling that music can be fun again, but you guys have obviously played a huge role in keeping me composing.

In 2000, I thought all the best ideas I had in music were already tried and that it wasn't worth pursuing anymore. Not just during holiday time, but even right now, a lot of people and tasks keep me away from making music as quickly or as often as I want, and often I feel like I'm trying to do way too much for too many (or too few?) people.

The key to keeping your life sensible is balance, and sometimes you have to stop doing certain things to make sure you have that balance. It's okay to take a break for a while.

I've asked in the past how those of you with children find time to track. I have a feeling I already know the answer.

Best wishes always
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Andy:Ray » Tue May 25, 2010 5:49 pm

I've asked in the past how those of you with children find time to track. I have a feeling I already know the answer.

well, nighttime... ;-)

Hmm.
I may be an extreme but (not many of you know this, I guess!) Ive got 7 kids (and nr. eight baking in the oven) in a range from ages 10 months to 21 years... I also carry an executive position at work.
Im also in the midst of planning to set up a new business with a launch whithin 2 years.. and other crazy projects...
To cut it short.. Ive got my hands full but what it all boils down to is priorities built on 5 foundations: LOVE, WORK, FREEDOM, CREATION and HAVE-TO's

For me, as well as for Organic io, family HAS to come first..
Without your family feeling happy and thriving you're nothing but wrought with trouble...
That's the #1 foundation, LOVE, which gives you strenght and motivation.
The number #2 foundation which is WORK has to be nurtured but kept in a tight leash or else it will break free and eat you, for whatever reason, and to generate enough money to provide you with the #3 foundation, FREEDOM that will give you space and time to relish in the #4 foundation, CREATION. The #5 foundation, HAVE-TO's, is all the stuff that, if all taken care of, gives a certain piece of mind.. domestic chores, bills, paying your mortgage on the old house in time, voting in the elections, vaccum the car, painting the fence, helping your neighbour with one of his problems when you'd rather watch sundays game instead etc. Well, you get the gist of it...

This is how I see life in a simplified manner... and I do Track. Time permitting. Mostly nighttime, though.
and sometimes I succeed in finishing an entry for SD. I play my beloved guitars as often as possible, and if its just for a couple of minutes for the toddlers until they lose interest that has to be enough.. I "sing in the shower", by that meaning whenever there's a possibillity..

This is just about what I can muster right now and there's periods of time, sometimes months on end, when there's no music created in any way..
But I Always come back to it... It's a part of me. And Im afraid that if I would "Quit" or not allowing myself to create music in some way I would lose a dimension of myself and become a negative...

AGED: Take your time and explore this other side of you but always remember two things: Never say Never. and. Everything is possible.
It may feel like the worst cliché but it's two of those old truths, like. :-)

Enough rambling...

Take care,

//Andy
I go where you dare not go...
Andy:Ray
Newb
Newb

Postby aged » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:10 pm

thanks for all the kind words here...

After few weeks I realized I don't need to work 24/7 and I totally miss everything creative :D

So fuc* that boring life. Our showroom is now open only from mo-fri. Hellllloooo weeeekends!

I can hear the hyperactivity approaching :)
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:26 pm

aged wrote:thanks for all the kind words here...

After few weeks I realized I don't need to work 24/7 and I totally miss everything creative :D

So fuc* that boring life. Our showroom is now open only from mo-fri. Hellllloooo weeeekends!

I can hear the hyperactivity approaching :)

Awesome dude. Bring on the round 50 agedness!!!

:D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Next

Return to Announcements