Comments, Suggestions and/or Feature Requests for the Soundevotion Competition.

*.m4a files

*.m4a files

Postby knetter » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi there,

Was wondering if the filebank utility could also allow *.m4a files. For now it is disabled for security reasons. *.m4a (MPEG4) files can be generated by iTunes and are "supposed" to be of better quality (for the same bitrate/size). Most players can handle them.

cheers!
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:14 pm

I've sent the link to this thread to Mick Rippon as he is actually the one who designed and administers the file bank, not Sonicade.

:)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:24 pm

organic io wrote:I've sent the link to this thread to Mick Rippon as he is actually the one who designed and administers the file bank, not Sonicade.

:)

Thanks dude!
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:38 am

I haven't heard back from Mick yet. I know he's a pretty busy dude...

I made an account at loopproject to see if there were any help/contact links but it all just goes to Mick's email. We'll give it a few more days and if we don't hear back from him, I'll try to ask some of the loop submitters if they know anything

And 'course, Knetter, you could always host the m4a file on your own webspace. Google pages is a good one, 100 megs for each email account you have at gmail. I think you can create 3 or 4 accounts under each main account too. I've got 3 main accounts so it's something like 700 megs webspace free. Pretty nice :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:36 pm

Hey Knetter, here is the very brief response I got from Mick tonight :

"Hey Mate,

In a hurry, just added m4a!

Regards,
Mick :)"

So... there ya go! :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:25 am

Great! Thanks MicRip and IO! Now people can just use iTunes to encode "the best" (or preferred) format.
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:36 am

Another plugin I will have to install for winamp I guess, if people start using it

Or else I will just render in Renoise like I used to and encode my own mp3s. Which I have for every round even before including mp3's became required :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:04 am

organic io wrote:Another plugin I will have to install for winamp I guess, if people start using it

Or else I will just render in Renoise like I used to and encode my own mp3s. Which I have for every round even before including mp3's became required :)

It still is a lossy encoding format and OGG of FLAC is offcourse better. I only like it because it is playable in my IPOD, it is better than mp3 and I don't have that space to encode everything in dual format. What should be really neat is off course *THE RENOISE WINAMP PLUGIN* 8)
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:22 pm

I have rockbox installed on my ipod, so I can play flac, ogg, wav, mp3s without id3's, etc. Even mod files now I think, and NES sound files :) Plus the organizational structure actually makes sense - directory trees! (like, omg what a complicated concept) I hated the apple firmware, I couldn't find any of my songs so I flashed it within a week of getting my ipod
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:12 am

organic io wrote:I have rockbox installed on my ipod, so I can play flac, ogg, wav, mp3s without id3's, etc. Even mod files now I think, and NES sound files :) Plus the organizational structure actually makes sense - directory trees! (like, omg what a complicated concept) I hated the apple firmware, I couldn't find any of my songs so I flashed it within a week of getting my ipod

Interesting! Can you fork this thread off to the tech-talk, where I can fire you some questions about this?
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:00 pm

Done, although as a moderator I don't have elite skills to move entire posts :)

http://forums.sdcompo.com/viewtopic.php?p=3432#3432
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Feedback / Requests