Comments, Suggestions and/or Feature Requests for the Soundevotion Competition.

File Compression rule - can it go?

File Compression rule - can it go?

Postby knetter » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:50 pm

I was wondering if we can change the following rule:

Entries must be compressed using .RAR, .ZIP, .GZ, or .BZ compression.

Since XRNS are already zipped in fact.
If you use a different fileformat, you MAY want to use compression to meet the filesize limit.

I must admit that my last 5 entries weren't zipped at all.... :oops: (I think as long as you stay under the filesize of 10 mb, its fine...)
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Dang, I was hoping you were talking about allowing non-native compressors in Renoise, because that is an exclusion I would vote for :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Ohh this is good, I'll change the rule now.
Update: I changed Must be compressed to 'please' compress all formats besides .XRNS.

Non-standard compressors, we can make a rule for arguru's compressor. Allowing exceptions for specific VSTs could be confusing.

Although, an SDCompo VST pack would be an interesting idea! A little collection of tried and true, allowed VSTs?
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Sonicade wrote:Although, an SDCompo VST pack would be an interesting idea! A little collection of tried and true, allowed VSTs?

Sounds great! I vote for stardust :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:29 pm

Ahh thanks Sonicade! Now I can 'obey' the rules ;)

@ IO: Whats the prob with the native compressors?
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:42 pm

knetter wrote:Ahh thanks Sonicade! Now I can 'obey' the rules ;)

@ IO: Whats the prob with the native compressors?

Not that I am extremely knowledgable about compression, but I just can't get drums to sound as "alive" with them as I have with Stardust. What I've read is that Renoise's native compressors don't really function like "real" compressors anyway. Maybe they have made them better lately?

I don't know.

:)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:04 pm

I've heard complaints about most of the Renoise built-in plugins from different places. Part of the reason why there is plugin support is to ensure that we have alternatives because no two softwares will compress, EQ, delay, etc in exactly the same way.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:05 pm

btw I've believed for a while that the "must zip your file" rule is stupid, it's just super-easy to comply. To me, why make a .rar or .zip if you aren't going to also include something else, like the rendered audio?
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby shadowbane » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:50 pm

It makes sense for people who use stuff like Psycle that saves all of the samples in the file as uncompressed .wav files (and doesn't support compressed sample formats)
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:23 am

The rule dates back to when Renoise used .rns and wasn't compressed. It still makes sense to zip other formats as Shadowbane mentioned. It's changed now anyway, no need to zip xrns. :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:45 pm

Sonicade wrote:The rule dates back to when Renoise used .rns and wasn't compressed. It still makes sense to zip other formats as Shadowbane mentioned. It's changed now anyway, no need to zip xrns. :)

Actually I like the idea of the ZIP limitation. - Why ?

Zip ist THE standard, you can open it on every plattform. .RAR and other formats are more "exotic". Could be more difficult for some people to open these archives (e.g. sometimes I've problems with RAR archives). The compression ratios are pretty similar, too. So I don't see the big improvement in allowing more formats. Maybe tar.gz/tar.bzip for linux and Mac because that's the standard there.

Moreover, I tend to ZIP my XRNS, since I can use song names that comply to my personal naming convention (author_-_song). Moreover one can include additional files if needed.
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Airmann » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:51 pm

Renoise's native compressors don't really function like "real" compressors anyway. Maybe they have made them better lately?

I don't know.

:)

Would be interesting to know if the compressors are really different from usual stuff.

On the other hand: "what is usual ?", every VST compressor I've tried so far sounds slightly different and has it's own handling.
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Airmann » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:56 pm

Sonicade wrote:Non-standard compressors, we can make a rule for arguru's compressor. Allowing exceptions for specific VSTs could be confusing.

Although, an SDCompo VST pack would be an interesting idea! A little collection of tried and true, allowed VSTs?

I've had exactly this idea some time ago.
I've collected a nice bunch of freeware stuff during the last year.

Especially the quality of the native reverbs is not so good IMO.
(They sound pretty harsh/metallic)

E.g. what's very nice are the Bootsy VSTs. They are very high quality and free. http://rekkerd.org/bootsy-plug-ins/. Especially the reverb is very famous.

But most of them are a bit special tools, so maybe if we really want to create a VST pack, we should add more standard tools, like solid compressor, equalizer, reverb.

@UPDATE:
just had a look at the KVR Developer Challenge 09:
Wooow: there's a free convolution reverb with 200 MB HQ impulses (also LINUX Version !!). And a new tape fx simulator from bootsy. I'll check that out.

http://www.kvraudio.com/developer_challenge_2009.php

@UPDATE2:
The Hyperreverb from KVR DC 09 is AWESOME. It's free for non-commercial and sounds like HEAVEN.
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:35 am

Please post suggestions for the SDCompo Plugin pack here!

http://forums.sdcompo.com/viewtopic.php?t=555
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Feedback / Requests