Comments, Suggestions and/or Feature Requests for the Soundevotion Competition.

Dropbox'ish feature

Dropbox'ish feature

Postby knetter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:22 am

As continued from the 1liners:

»10/08 04:19AM Knetter: @Airmann: thats a cool lil' midi controller! The FTP thing is indeed a good plan (but I dunno about anti-hack/security)... [X]

»10/08 01:59AM Airmann: what about simple anonymous FTP upload ?

»10/07 08:24PM organic_io: that's a cool idea, Knetter. 'Cade, what about a public folder on Mick's filekey system?

»10/07 05:46PM Sonicade: @Knetter, opened dropbox account but theres no way to link the public folder, only file by file. Feel free to email gen@sdcompo.com and I'll add anyone interested to the dropbox account.

»10/07 04:51PM Airmann: @juolac: bought a nocturn 25 this week. Niceee.

»10/07 04:49PM Airmann: samples, VSTe (e.g. Bootsy reverb...), and personal Instrument

»10/07 12:33PM Knetter: we need a dropbox on this site, where you can just drag'n'drop a couple of samples in :) [X]
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Airmann » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:30 am

Ok, if it's anonymous somebody could drop illegal stuff there. But that's the same for all anonymous services, or ?

A problem could be to avoid over-writing of already uploaded samples.

Therefore, maybe a media-space is more suitable ?
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:50 am

If you mean something like drop.io, if we all have login accounts I think we trust each other enough not to be childish and overwrite each other's stuff on purpose.

This is not a suggestion (because I rarely have time to participate in that phase) but Battle of the Bits take samples as submissions before their mix compos. Of course, they only give you two days to compose and their compos are "allgear" style (meaning if you had an S900 sampler and a bunch of rack effects from the 90s, that's legal to use) so I don't think it's an approach we'd want to completely borrow.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby gilli » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:08 am

I like the dropbox idea.

What about one of these two options:

1)
Wouldn't it be possible to map the SDC user accounts to an FTP account?
So SDComposers could log in with a dedicated FTP account and upload samples.
The webspace cannot be abused easily because you'd have to login to download the uploaded media. But one might still be able to create and spread fake accounts.

2)
Upload files via HTTP just like we upload songs.

To ensure that the given webspace is not being abused by fake accounts, one would need to have at least [1-3] entries. Just like the voting politics.

I had also thought about tagging options on the upload form but the classic way might be better because SDC focuses on artists and compositions. Tagged/categorized samples are handled by given databases like freesound.org.
gilli
Regular
Regular

Postby chunter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:15 pm

#2 is what BOTB do, it's just like a compo submission. (Not sure I made that clear ;) )
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby gilli » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:04 pm

I guess you were faster, while I was still typing.

I think we could be different from Battle Of The Beats by remaining mostly what we are right now. Compiled samples can be taken from our huge database that is growing over time. The sample compilations don't neccessarily have to come from the newest uploads.
So we have our database that any of us can feed, no one feels forced to create the newest sample pack but the motivation is there.

I don't fear that there will be a competition on creating sample packs, because most of us prefer composing music in first place and, as you said, we're grown up and can just discuss about the choice of sample packs.

If a sample pack doesn't make it for one round, it remains for the next. By now this was not very likely to happen. This might slightly change, should composers like to receive applause for their sample packs (which is good) but I belive the greater motivation is to receive applause for a song.
gilli
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:55 am

gilli wrote:What about one of these two options:

2)
Upload files via HTTP just like we upload songs.

To ensure that the given webspace is not being abused by fake accounts, one would need to have at least [1-3] entries. Just like the voting politics.

This seems like the simplest to use and probably easy for Sonicade to set up. I vote for this
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Hey all, great to see this discussion and the good ideas popping up here!

For now I think the quick and dirty solution is to create and FTP account.
The HTTP upload from Loopproject is convenient & awesome but could get disorganized fast. Using an FTP account will allow us to create our own folders etc for some organization and be able to upload multiple files quickly.

As some of you mentioned, I think we're all responsible enough not to delete other people's files. I'll go through the account from time to time and erase any illegal files and what not. Eventually we will want a more elegant solution but for now let's make this available.

Connection info:

ftp://ftp.sdcompo.com/

l: sdcompo@sonicade.com
p: sdcompo

Be good to your neighbor!
Last edited by Sonicade on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:52 pm

great idea 'Cade.

Already logged in and created a folder.

I recommend to use FileZilla
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Feedback / Requests