Comments, Suggestions and/or Feature Requests for the Soundevotion Competition.

Reputation for users, with ability to +1 songs?

Reputation for users, with ability to +1 songs?

Postby tenfour » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:36 am

Maybe this is too significant of a change, and / or not in the spirit of a monthly competition, but I have been wondering about the possibility of having a more global reputation score per user, like many sites are doing these days. Forums have done it for many years, and now with sites like the Stack Exchange network and social media, we see more and more of this kind of thing becoming popular.

It can give a sense of longevity to a user account, some feeling that when a round is over, things are not over. You can still gain reputation from your past and continuing contributions to sdcompo, regardless of the competition status.

Reputation also generates statistics for the site which are interesting for generating new content like "top entries of all time".

In addition, I envision features to highlight past entries better. Again, adding to the "fullness" of the site by continuing to gain from past works, and not forgetting the excellent work that's been done in the past.

I would propose user reputation is given in the following scenarios:

1. Submit an entry: +4
2. Comment on someone's song: +1 (max 1 point per song though)
3. Votes on your entry get directly translated to reputation
4. Post-competition up-votes: +2
5. You complete your voting for the round: +1

For #4, I would propose that we allow users to up-vote entries after the competition has ended, in order to give ongoing credit to the composer, and to generate more site statistics (aformentioned "top songs of all time").

Next to user names, you would see the reputation just like on Stack Exchange networks. For example,

> Sonicade (+2311)

There are a lot of smaller features that can blossom from this then. For example:

1. Easier browsing of past entries. Or, "Take me to a random song"
2. See users sorted by reputation
3. See upvotes next to song names, or some kind of a per-song reputation score. Even a percentile of the total, to see the rank of every song on the site.

To continue, we could add tags to songs like SoundCloud. Because up-voting songs leads to the desire to browse for songs more, tagging is a natural continuation, further categorizing songs, giving cross-round identity to users, and giving the ability to search for songs with a certain tag.

A natural question is: who cares about reputation? What can you do with it? I am not really sure actually. The question is more fundamental: What is reputation? What does it theoretically indicate? Here are some possibilities:

1. Your positive impact on the sdcompo community. We should give rep for things that contribute positively to sdcompo in whatever way. Good meaningful critique, submitting entries consistently, voting. You don't need great entries to get reputation in this case. Instead reputation emphasizes activity on the site, attention to other entries. This is probably the best in line with the term "reputation".
2. Your artistic aptitude. In this case, reputation emphasizes round placements and voting, and less on participation and community support.

I think #1 makes much more sense than #2, which means maybe round results shouldn't be so strongly weighted for reputation.

Ok enough thinking aloud. I realize sdcompo might not be big enough to support such a system, and that there are probably not enough hours in our lives to implement such a thing. But thought it was worth saying.
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby chunter » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:57 pm

battleofthebits.org has this.

You can "favorite" anything (and will favorite things automatically if you listen or DL a song many times) and you can view an account's Favorites list and listen to its contents.

They also have tagging, which gains experience points for the person making tags and creates the profession of "taggist" if your account gets most of its experience in this way. (My account's profession is "mixist" because I get most of my best results in their remix contests.)

They have a notion called "aura" which determines what sort of pattern the border around your postings and avatar pictures will have- if you learn to interpret them, you will know how people tend to vote in the compos.

Although the "experience levels" in battleofthebits.org is related to your results, I suggest avoiding this- a simple look at wins/losses/placements will tell you how often a person wins, so if there is to be another statistic keeping track of your activity I think it should deliberately be unrelated to compo scores. It didn't take me long to figure out which people had all the experience and skill when I started entering here ;)
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:47 am

tenfour, I think these are some good ideas which should definitely be considered for the upcoming site redesign.

To continue, we could add tags to songs like SoundCloud. Because up-voting songs leads to the desire to browse for songs more, tagging is a natural continuation, further categorizing songs, giving cross-round identity to users, and giving the ability to search for songs with a certain tag.

This statement in particular got me thinking about how these ideas could make SDcompo more like a site where people go to actually listen to music. I think right now the layout is fragmented and makes it not conducive to finding stuff to listen to.

And in response to your philosophical question about what "reputation" should mean, I think #1 is more in line with what we would want here at SDcompo. In fact I don't think "reputation" is really the right word for it. Perhaps "enthusiasm", but that's a bit too cheesy...

These are some great ideas to strive for though... I think song "all time ranking" and tagging would be a great addition to the site, streamlining it so songs could and would be listened to more frequently, even the older ones.

We'll get Cralias in on this conversation and see his take on it.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby cralias » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:16 pm

A thought-over substitute to the canned achievements idea.

Favorites (or likes or points) and tagging put together with storing songs in the Internet Archive (from the other thread) and I think we'll achieve the goal to make SDC more social (Sonicade's vision, perhaps?) and easy-to-use.

Thanks, tenfour, for your valuable proposal.

I must admit that the overall progress is slow. But it will keep going. It's probably better to decide on features beforehand rather than tweak or remove when done already.
cralias
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:03 pm

cralias wrote:I must admit that the overall progress is slow. But it will keep going. It's probably better to decide on features beforehand rather than tweak or remove when done already.

Hey man, no problem. No rush... It's functioning as normal for now so I agree it would be better to decide beforehand rather than wasting your time tweaking later.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Feedback / Requests