Comments, Suggestions and/or Feature Requests for the Soundevotion Competition.

Build archive of tracker files and MP3

Re: Build archive of tracker files and MP3

Postby organic io » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:50 am

shadowbane wrote:Under Linux you can use jack to plug Renoise into your favorite audio recorder. If you use Renoise much I would recommend a license though, it is worth the money (this is coming from someone who doesn't own a Renoise license. :? )

Yep that works just fine. Or there are .wav writing vst plugins that you can just pop on the master bus.

I had a Renoise license but it expired at 2.5.1 :cry: Too poor to buy it anymore...
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby gilli » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:17 am

Great job, guys.
Just one thing: The current Renoise versions are not 100% compatible to all of the old songs. They'll play, but won't sound the same. Since the very old Renoise versions were only available for Windows, it'll be harder to do the rendering on other platforms (although io's idea of using Wine will help here).

My suggestion is:
a) Do nothing about it at first. Later the artists can listen to the rendered versions and, if necessary, hand in a correct FLAC version.
b) Have someone render old round entries with old Renoise versions.

I also have old licenses (1.281 - 2.1), but I completely switched to linux. If really no one else can be found, I can try to render a bunch of old songs. But I'm also limited to the VST-free songs. Anyone who has old licenses and a good VST-library on his PC, should be preferred.
gilli
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 am

I think using old versions to render is a good idea. Wine rarely gives me problems with Renoise. So perhaps I should be the best candidate for the earlier rounds??
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby a-lin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Woohoo, I've just realized I can easily run Renoise Windows version via Wine (the x64 version seems more snappy, frankly it feels just like the Linux version) + the Windows VST plugins. Meaning I can even take care of rendering files requiring Windows plugins.
a-lin
Regular
Regular

Postby a-lin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:41 pm

I've unzipped a XRNS file, the version isn't explicitly stated but I could see a doc_version ("37" for a file generated with Renoise 2.8.1). I think we should be able to retrieve the exact version that way.

My licence is still in function and I have access to all previous versions of Renoise.
a-lin
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:24 pm

a-lin wrote:I've unzipped a XRNS file, the version isn't explicitly stated but I could see a doc_version ("37" for a file generated with Renoise 2.8.1). I think we should be able to retrieve the exact version that way.

My licence is still in function and I have access to all previous versions of Renoise.

Probably so about the doc_version... Good find! We can test a couple previous releases to confirm, or even ask Renoise devs. (2.8.0 = doc_version 36, etc?)

Then we also need to confirm we have the correct vst versions for vst rounds.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:42 pm

OK, I've asked over on Renoise forums about if there is a better way to figure out version number...

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?/topic/37778-how-to-tell-what-renoise-version-a-song-was-made-in/

If not, I'll just manually make a crossmap of all incremental versions since xrns support, which I think was 1.8.0 , and hopefully I will end up at 37 by the time I reach 2.8.1, because otherwise, well.... :|
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Well, so far I haven't gotten much help on the Renoise forums, other than the thread being moved to a different section.

I tried to roughly figure it out myself, but I'm confused by the releases..
On this page -- http://www.renoise.com/archived-renoise-demos

If you count each version number separately (Windows, Linux & Mac bundled together), then there have only been 13 versions since 1.8.0 (too few)

If you count each OS build separately, there have been 48 versions since then. (too many)

Oh ! You know I didn't even look in backstage. I'm sure the betas and RC's have a version number as well. Hopefully when we sum up all the betas/RC's they will equal 37 (all platforms combined)

Well. It's tedious but it's do-able. Heh A-Lin, I bet you didn't know what you were getting into when you started this thread, did you ??? :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:22 pm

Man, I looked in the Renoise backstage, it doesn't have archives of the Beta/RC versions, so basically we have no way of obtaining those if somebody used them.

I think what we should do then is, find out the doc_version for all the official release numbers, make a crossmap and hopefully 95% of the Renoise songs will fall on these versions. Betas are not supposed to be allowed in SDcompo but I wouldn't be surprised if some slipped through the cracks. So I guess if there is a doc_version that is not on our crossmap, then we can assume it was done on a beta and the safest thing to do would be to render it with the next highest official version number.

Sounds good???
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby a-lin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:27 am

Guys, I tried the very first sdcompo entry, the old Renoise format RNS (sdc1_Sonicade-Reon_Kadence.rar), it starts with

RNS018^@^@(>>> Chunk Start <<<^@Header V02 ^@

which seems to indicate that it's been composed with Renoise 0.1.8!

I downloaded 1.8.0 from the backstage (thinking it might be 1.8.0 instead), but the format had already changed to the new XRNS format. The docstring was "4" (confirming that for the new format a mapping from docstring to renoise version should work).

I could load the song but couldn't render it (could be a problem with Wine, or with Renoise having trouble with that old format). I couldn't get the supposedly 0.1.8 version from the backstage...

BTW, I tried to save a song under Renoise 2.8.1 both with the Windows and the Linux binaries and the docstring was the same. I'm not sure we can find much logic in the way the docstrings map to the versions, it might be internal to the Renoise developers. Hopefully there won't be that many docstrings to map given people just tend to use the last version of the time (although SDCompo covers 7 years!).

I'll retry under Windows when I have some time.
a-lin
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:37 pm

The current Renoise version in Round 1 (April 2006) was 1.5.2... I don't think there will be a problem rendering all the pre 1.8 round entries with 1.5.2
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby gilli » Wed May 01, 2013 6:00 am

Renoise actually shows the song version of the binary (.rns) files upon loading. Here's a list I created loading my old songs:
Code: Select all
07 - 1.2
12 - 1.26
15 - 1.27
16 - 1.28 / 1.28.1
17 - 1.5
18 - 1.5.1 / 1.5.2

The left numer is the decimal value in the binary head, the right one the representation of the Renoise version (e.g. RNS018 is created with Renoise 1.5.1 or 1.5.2).
If a number maps to different Renoise versions, it's most likely that the song format wasn't changed by the update.

However, it's possible that the version info is retrieved from elsewhere in the file and that the first 6 bytes are parsed differently or even ignored.
gilli
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Wed May 01, 2013 8:25 am

Awesome, thanks Gilli! I'll use that for the first rounds
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby a-lin » Fri May 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Guys,

I can't get the 1.5 renoise series installed, even using a virtual machine with Windows 7 in it.

It asks for the demo version (to unlock it I guess) but I can't find it either (the link is broken).

Has anybody managed to get that installed/working?
a-lin
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Mon May 13, 2013 8:21 am

Yeah, actually I had installed 1.5 the other day to test it on the P2 laptop. The download link works fine for me. I'll put the demo installers up on google drive & share

Edit: OK, I've shared with A-Lin, chunter, and lossfizzle/configsissy
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Previous

Return to Feedback / Requests