Tracking and Demoscene discussion.

How long, where from?

Postby groovyone » Mon May 15, 2006 10:44 pm

Lol. No Harm :)

I'm dead serious! I feel like pulling on leggings and dancing on the ceiling!

Well, it's my interperetation of 80s meets electro pop.
groovyone
Regular
Regular

Postby dilvie » Tue May 16, 2006 4:55 am

I've been tracking since 1990. Started on ModEdit/ModRes for the PC. I made music on Comodore 64, Coleco, TI 99/4A and Apple II computers prior to my PC purchase and discovery of sample-based trackers. Thankfully, none of that crap survives. I toyed with nearly every famous tracker released between then and now. Here are the ones I liked: Scream Tracker, Impulse Tracker, Buzz, Psycle, and Renoise.

I didn't make any decent computer-based music until about 1995, when I met nice folks like Mick Rippon and Hunz (on #trax) who were happy to point out many ways I could improve my craft -- and I did, a little.

Today you can hear my music in a variety of movies, documentaries, podcasts, and a handful of demos. I did a semi-famous remix of "Only" that US residents may have heard on the radio, but that's as close as I have ever come to a "hit".

I founded Knobtweakers.net at the beginning of 2005, and it's currently the most influential electronic music blog in the world -- top features are pushing 160,000 downloads, each.

I'm glad to see a couple familiar names here (Hi Mick and Harmony!). I should probably participate in more of these things.

- Eric
dilvie
Regular
Regular

Postby Harmony » Tue May 16, 2006 6:19 am

Dilvie!!! Dude, it's been forever, how are you :)? Are you entering SD3? This compo is the shiznit.

Ye gods I sound like a gAngstA.

Really, I'm not, I like tea and biscuits.

Rori also says hi :)
---------------------
www.alarinmusic.com
---------------------
Harmony
Regular
Regular

Postby dilvie » Tue May 16, 2006 6:30 am

Harmony wrote:Dilvie!!! Dude, it's been forever, how are you :)? Are you entering SD3? This compo is the shiznit.

Yes. I've already uploaded my entry. Want to do a co-op? =)

Ye gods I sound like a gAngstA.

Yes, I was very confused. I thought I was talking to Ice Cube.

Really, I'm not, I like tea and biscuits.

Oh, good. I'll take off the kevlar.

Rori also says hi :)

Hi Rori!

- Eric
dilvie
Regular
Regular

Postby Harmony » Tue May 16, 2006 6:59 pm

For sure :) Do you want an SD co-op (can we do that Sonicade??) or a general co-op?
---------------------
www.alarinmusic.com
---------------------
Harmony
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Wed May 17, 2006 12:51 am

Yes absolutely. To coop just create a new login such as Harmony_Dilvie. Keep in mind that you cannot vote for your individual entries from a coop login, eg: Harmony_Dilvie cannot vote for Harmony or Dilvie (for fairness).

I've given some thought to a more proper way to do this and I have some ideas. First though I will be overhauling the voting system again to make it more comment friendly. It will still use the top 5 system. :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby dilvie » Wed May 17, 2006 4:17 am

Harmony wrote:

For sure :) Do you want an SD co-op (can we do that Sonicade??) or a general co-op?

According to the counter, we have 1 day and about 20 hours remaining to do a co-op entry. If you want to work up about a minute or two, I'll be happy to try to finish and polish it before the deadline. ;)

- Eric
dilvie
Regular
Regular

Postby Harmony » Wed May 17, 2006 6:51 am

Cool, thanks Sonicade :)

Hehe I wish I could work up a minute or two in that amount of time but I ain't that good ;) How about we put something together for SD4 though, want me to kick that one off when the next samplepack is out?
---------------------
www.alarinmusic.com
---------------------
Harmony
Regular
Regular

Postby dilvie » Wed May 17, 2006 8:03 am

Harmony wrote:Cool, thanks Sonicade :)

Hehe I wish I could work up a minute or two in that amount of time but I ain't that good ;) How about we put something together for SD4 though, want me to kick that one off when the next samplepack is out?

Yay. Sounds great. =) We will win!
dilvie
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Wed May 17, 2006 5:02 pm

no way, me and rob williams jr are gonna make a co op for the win :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Wed May 24, 2006 9:48 am

I have noticed that a couple of the Sdcompo people are australian. I have a question about australian accents -- do you speak in "general australian", or "broad australian" ? I looked up australian accents on wikipedia last night because I recently got a "wiggles" film for my son and I was surprised that their accents sound a lot different than the "stereotypical" australian accent usually portrayed in films that end up making it to the U.S. (Paul Hogan, the Crocodile Hunter, etc). the wiggles were less thick, more british sounding (although i can still tell the difference) ... they have been hiding the truth from us!
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Harmony » Wed May 24, 2006 5:58 pm

Heahee, well if you mean do we walk around saying "Crikey" "Struth!" and "Goodonya mate" (broad Australian?) no we don't. The Crocodile Hunter is our greatest shame as he was marketed heavily overseas despite the fact that he acts and sounds nothing like your average Australian. Same for Paul Hogan who's very overdone on the Australian accent. When I hear the Wiggles though they don't sound too weird to me so I'd say they're probably a lot closer to our general accent.

If you want to hear real Australia accents I'd do a search for Australian podcasters and download a few audioposts :)
---------------------
www.alarinmusic.com
---------------------
Harmony
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Tracking / Demoscene