General Discussion Forum.

Personally recorded performance rules discussion

Personally recorded performance rules discussion

Postby organic io » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Continued from the 1 liners...

»01/05 11:14AM organic_io: So, personally recorded samples -- Would that also include personally recorded performances?

»01/05 07:29PM Sonicade: @organic, yes just like last round, personal performances that aren't one-shots. May make this a regular rule like the vocals rule.

»01/06 06:46AM JustinCredible: What do you mean by personal performances? And what are one-shots?

»01/06 10:59AM organic_io: JC, if you play an instrument, you can record it and use it in the song. One shot means "single hit" samples, for example 1 note from a piano or guitar [X]

»01/06 12:21PM juolac: I wonder.. are valid performances only from analogue instruments? Cause if not - Samplepack restrictions can easily be avoided and use a hard synth's all instruments and effects. And then rules are just about Theme and Filesize.

I think Juolac brings up an important point here. Sonicade, can you clarify whether hardware synths and vsti's played through hardware input (such as midi keyboard or drums) are valid? I have been wanting to record Addictive Drums through my DIY drums interface.

I think if these things are valid, then this should definitely not be a permanent rule, because people could use it as a loophole to use just about any instrument they wanted to. It should be more of an occasional thing (every 3 or 6 months or something)

Input ?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:17 pm

I wondered about this myself; I pushed the boundary of this rule in "No Wasted Time" a few rounds ago. While the "synth" bits were recorded straight out of my Nintendo DS outputs and even go out of sync in a few places, the drums were sampled as single hits and I replayed them in the Renoise tracker. By current wording of the rule, that should be disqualified, and I don't recall the rules of that round well enough to remember why I thought that would be okay.

My interpretation of the spirit of the rule is that I should be able to play a Yamaha Portasound or whatever synth I have laying around my house IF I actually play it in and record it as a long continuous sample; it is against the spirit of the rule to sample anything I want and track with it as if I am adding it to the pack.

Any thoughts/contradictions/retractions are welcome.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Personally recorded performance

Postby Sallecta » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:21 am

I belive, that "Personally recorded performance" means a live instruments performance recording. So, this point allow as to record a piano (sax, hardware synth like RolandTB303, etc) performances and put that record inside module.

IMO, it's absolutely wrong to think that this rule allow as to use some midi-controller stuff connected to computer which is bundled with some restricted (in scope of sdcompo rules) DAW or software sampler.

The rules are the system and we should understand it in complex way. So, if somebody realize to himself that "Personally recorded performance" actually allow to use all possible music stuff in the work, he should look in other rules and try to check that other rules allow that "trick".

Let's assume, that I want to check if allowance of personally recorded performance allow me to use any DAW and plugin I want.
Step 1. Reading the rules http://www.sdcompo.com/rules.php
Step 2. Finding the allowed DAW's to work: Renoise, Modplug/IT/FT2, Psycle, Skale, Buzz, MadTracker
Step 3. Finding additional audio tools: only internal plugins, author performance, and stuff included in sample pack.

So, after reading the rules I can conclude that:
The Personally recorded performance is a recording of some External music instrument totally independent from Computer's stuff with an exception off allowed DAW's and tools in sample pack.
So, there is no "hole" in rules.
Oooh, U don't know me)
Sallecta
Newb
Newb

Postby Sonicade » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:55 am

You guys are interpreting it correctly. The rule is to encourage people to play their pianos, guitars, keyboards, etc. Organic I think even your drum set would be fine as long as it has a live feel to it. Anything mechanical that comes from a sequencer or something would not be accepted.

Glad to see we're all savvy and mature enough to understand what the rules are for. :) Let's make some tunes!
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:13 am

Hey guys,

what's the difference between Renoise and a Sequencer ? Isn't it exactly what we are using all the time ? And regarding MIDI controllers: it shouldn't matter if I use a keyboard or a controller to enter the notes, or ?

Moreover, Sonicade you wrote that I may use a Keyboard. So it is allowed to record the output of an external Synth/ROMpler/Sampler whatever and on the other hand is not allowed to record the output of a VSTi Synth / Sampler ? For me this is actually the same, and to record and provide the MIDI data together with the WAV output is even better, or ?

I ask because maybe (!) I'll use a Piano-Sampler for playing/recording a live-Piano performance. WOuld this be allowed ?
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Yes Renoise is an awesome legitimate sequencer.

Yes piano sampler is ok if you're playing it live and it doesn't sound like a synth. Only real piano patches, no heavenly piano patches with all the pads and what not.

Same with electric guitar and Organic_IO's drum kit. Electric guitar fx are ok as long as it still sounds like a electric guitar and not a lead synth. Drum kit acoustic drum samples probably best but electronic samples are ok as long as the recorded live feel is preserved.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 am

Kind of feel like I am splitting hairs here, but would a software B3 emulator played with my midi keyboard be fine? (I don't know if I will actually use such a thing, but probably would, the hammond B3 is an amazing insturnment.)
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:48 am

Shadowbane, yes if it's played live (velocity is not static, etc) that's fine. Piano, Organ, Guitar, all good.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Compo Talk