General Discussion Forum.

Are these samples within the rules?

Are these samples within the rules?

Postby tenfour » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:35 am

A single note to be used as a general sample is not within the rules, as organic_io stated in one-liners.

But I also have a few others which I am curious about:

1) A lead guitar sample which is a single note, but it's literally a one-note fill (thus, will only be used as an original C-4 recording).

2) I have a rhythm guitar track which is just a single chord strum. Again it's always used as an original C-4, is it OK?

3) If I render a VST to sample, can I edit that sample? For example I want to shorten the attack of an instrument a bit.
User avatar
tenfour
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:33 am
Location: #musicdsp on EFNet

Re: Are these samples within the rules?

Postby organic io » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:23 am

tenfour wrote:A single note to be used as a general sample is not within the rules, as organic_io stated in one-liners.

But I also have a few others which I am curious about:

1) A lead guitar sample which is a single note, but it's literally a one-note fill (thus, will only be used as an original C-4 recording).

2) I have a rhythm guitar track which is just a single chord strum. Again it's always used as an original C-4, is it OK?

3) If I render a VST to sample, can I edit that sample? For example I want to shorten the attack of an instrument a bit.



Hey 10-4.

The rules are there mostly to prevent blatant abuse and give everyone an even playing ground (as much as possible within a multi-platform competition). I think everyone knows that your intentions are good.

Regarding questions 1 and 2, they sound like they should meet the guidelines, but the main determining factor would be the length of the samples... How long are they? I would say if they are at least a couple of measures worth of the song, then they are fine.

Re: Question 3 -- This is definitely fine in all circumstances. I would expect that people using trackers without vst support would do this type of editing anyway to give them more control over the sound.

Hope this helps.

And good luck in the competition! I can't wait to hear the entries this round.
User avatar
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 am

Postby tenfour » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:53 am

Yea I agree it's more about intention than technicalities, and that's a relief. I am extra paranoid this round because it features the performance of a friend of mine and she's excited about the results, and I'd hate to tell her the entry was DQ'd.

The guitar samples are quite short - some little fills and some chords for rhythm guitar. They are treated as performances, not an instrument in the sample pack, and this is why I feel it's OK and not trying to bend rules.

In contrast I agree my bass guitar sample was not allowed, because the recording was not treated as a performance, but rather a typical samplepack-style sample used to generate larger melodies. I have since corrected that, using synth1 instead.

Now I am really happy about the extended deadline :D
User avatar
tenfour
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:33 am
Location: #musicdsp on EFNet

Postby organic io » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:42 am

tenfour wrote:The guitar samples are quite short - some little fills and some chords for rhythm guitar. They are treated as performances, not an instrument in the sample pack, and this is why I feel it's OK and not trying to bend rules.


Yeah, I think that sounds OK. :)
User avatar
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 am

Postby CasMarrav » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:10 pm

I have the same kind of question, I'd like to make something and I have to work on linux right now. I've coded this tool for Renoise called Overtune (v2) which I use a lot, it's not that different from sunvox's generators, to use it in the track.. Is this allowed?
CasMarrav
Newb
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:57 pm

Postby organic io » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:21 pm

CasMarrav wrote:I have the same kind of question, I'd like to make something and I have to work on linux right now. I've coded this tool for Renoise called Overtune (v2) which I use a lot, it's not that different from sunvox's generators, to use it in the track.. Is this allowed?


See how often I check the forums....

I'm really sorry.

Yes, that would be fine for you to use it in the song.
User avatar
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 am

Return to Compo Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests