General Discussion Forum.

Hey guys, Noob checking in!

Hey guys, Noob checking in!

Postby flipbit03 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Hey guys, what's up?

I've just found out this forum/compo (mainly searching for a way to get more inspired and feedback on what i'm creating) and i would like to try to send a song to the compo (even tho it's just 4 days until the deadline is over). I'm going to try to write something!

Some bio about me:

27 y/o, Always wanted to learn music since i was a kid but assholey father (programmer and weekend bass/guitar player!) wouldn't have time or will to teach me music. Fast forward some 20 years: 8 months ago i've decided i'd do something about it, so i bought Renoise, and entry level midi keyboard (Axiom25 2nd Gen) and been studying by myself and banging songs since that. I'm mostly using free vsts and samples to do my deeds ^^

Here's my SoundCloud in case anyone wants to listen to the stuff i've been doing: http://soundcloud.com/flipbit03

It's okay for a noob to post a song to the compo? I hope so.

See you guys around and mucho love from Brazil!
flipbit03
Newb
Newb

Re: Hey guys, Noob checking in!

Postby organic io » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey flipbit! Welcome to the compo! Of course noobs are welcome, how else are we going to learn except by practicing? Thanks for posting your story. I can relate in a way. I'm 31, and although I started with writing electronic music earlier than you did, I always wanted to play drums but got discouraged when in 6th grade band class, I wanted to play drums but my teacher made me play Trombone instead.

After starting to write electronic music in highschool, I came to the conclusion that live drums were "obsolete" anyway.. But after many years of feeling the urge to bang rhythmically on various things (steering wheels, my chest, etc), I decided I would finally give these "obsolete" live drums a try. That was 3 years ago and I'm still really enjoying it and am finding ways to incorporate it into my electronic stuff :)

So yeah, hopefully you will find something enjoyable about the music writing process. And the community here is really great .. It will give you a chance to get feedback on your songs, discover other new songs, and make friends.

:D

Peace
-Scott

flipbit03 wrote:Hey guys, what's up?

I've just found out this forum/compo (mainly searching for a way to get more inspired and feedback on what i'm creating) and i would like to try to send a song to the compo (even tho it's just 4 days until the deadline is over). I'm going to try to write something!

Some bio about me:

27 y/o, Always wanted to learn music since i was a kid but assholey father (programmer and weekend bass/guitar player!) wouldn't have time or will to teach me music. Fast forward some 20 years: 8 months ago i've decided i'd do something about it, so i bought Renoise, and entry level midi keyboard (Axiom25 2nd Gen) and been studying by myself and banging songs since that. I'm mostly using free vsts and samples to do my deeds ^^

Here's my SoundCloud in case anyone wants to listen to the stuff i've been doing: http://soundcloud.com/flipbit03

It's okay for a noob to post a song to the compo? I hope so.

See you guys around and mucho love from Brazil!
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:07 pm

PS
You were already following me on Soundcloud??? I'm following you back man, you got a lot of potential!!! Keep it up :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby gilli » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Hiya flipbit and welcome!

Had a go through your soundcloud and you do show a quite some musicailty for having just started. Can't hear much 'noobity' there. When I started making music (1996), my stuff didn't sound as evolved. Back then I always thought the "min" and "maj" samples were just some cool effects until I opened a song (mekx-rmb.s3m) in Fasttracker, where three notes were played at once.:) Actually my love for opensource started with tracker modules, before I even knew that there's something like this in the software world.

I played drums with my teeth! Stereo!
gilli
Regular
Regular

Return to Compo Talk