General Discussion Forum.

Upcoming Round 89 discussion

Upcoming Round 89 discussion

Postby a-lin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Here's a forum about upcoming rnd 89 samplepack, as per D-Less advice.

I initially suggested the REAKTOR FACTORY SELECTION http://tinyurl.com/lgjg4h9

I think it suffices for both instruments and drums, however I'm still unsure how well it can be used under wine (which sorta of a requirement for me, although I also manage to run Renoise under Windows under virtualBox, although with large audio lag and clips).

I'll do more testing and let you know.

Meanwhile please share you suggestions, if you have others.

Cheers,
A-Lin
a-lin
Regular
Regular

Re: Upcoming Round 89 discussion

Postby a-lin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:44 pm

No, I didn't manage to activate it. The demo was running, now it has expired. I'll try on virtualBox...
a-lin
Regular
Regular

Postby Directionless » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:28 pm

a-lin wrote:No, I didn't manage to activate it. The demo was running, now it has expired. I'll try on virtualBox...

Did you create an account on Native Instruments website? And then use that to log in to the Native Instruments Service Center and put in the code you got in the email to activate the product? (Of course the Service Center and everything would have to work under WINE).
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby a-lin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:28 pm

If we don't go the REAKTOR route (frankly I'm willing to use virtualbox if no one else is bothered by the lack of wine compatibility), this website has an impressive list of free vst http://vstplanet.com/
a-lin
Regular
Regular

Postby a-lin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Directionless wrote:
a-lin wrote:No, I didn't manage to activate it. The demo was running, now it has expired. I'll try on virtualBox...

Did you create an account on Native Instruments website? And then use that to log in to the Native Instruments Service Center and put in the code you got in the email to activate the product? (Of course the Service Center and everything would have to work under WINE).

So the problem is that the Service Center crashes under wine 1.6.
a-lin
Regular
Regular

Postby Directionless » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:45 pm

a-lin wrote:
Directionless wrote:

So the problem is that the Service Center crashes under wine 1.6.

Well we haven't heard from too many people on this yet. I'm fine either way. I don't even know what I am doing with the NewSchool beat thing. I made a "pattern" and then it stopped playing after a while. Carbon2 on the other hand seems useful enough.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby GravityGames » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:04 pm

I've also been having issues registering under Wine. While I could run a VirtualBox machine if I absolutely had to, I'm worried about having enough RAM to really do much. I'm also not really sure what to do with Reaktor, is it a tracker in itself, or is there some VST I use in my preferred tracker?
GravityGames
Newb
Newb

Postby Directionless » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:08 pm

GravityGames wrote:I've also been having issues registering under Wine. While I could run a VirtualBox machine if I absolutely had to, I'm worried about having enough RAM to really do much. I'm also not really sure what to do with Reaktor, is it a tracker in itself, or is there some VST I use in my preferred tracker?

As far as I can tell without knowing that much about it (i installed it successfully and checked that it worked is about all), Reaktor is the container or middleware to the 'VSTs' Carbon2, Space Drone, and Newschool.

As we seem to be committed now, It might be best to create a sample pack out of the default patches. Doing that with Space Drone and Carbon2 should be fairly straight forward, and maybe I can start on that after Christmas.

But I really don't know what I am doing with Newschool yet. I'll have to play round with it or read some tuts. It seems to output the default 'patches' in loop form. It might be best for me or someone to play each one on a low BPM rendered to disk. Then with Renoise, you could use beat slicing to isolate/use the individual sounds in each loop... or use a wav editor to chop them up.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby GravityGames » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:18 am

Directionless wrote:
GravityGames wrote:I've also been having issues registering under Wine. While I could run a VirtualBox machine if I absolutely had to, I'm worried about having enough RAM to really do much. I'm also not really sure what to do with Reaktor, is it a tracker in itself, or is there some VST I use in my preferred tracker?

As far as I can tell without knowing that much about it (i installed it successfully and checked that it worked is about all), Reaktor is the container or middleware to the 'VSTs' Carbon2, Space Drone, and Newschool.

As we seem to be committed now, It might be best to create a sample pack out of the default patches. Doing that with Space Drone and Carbon2 should be fairly straight forward, and maybe I can start on that after Christmas.

But I really don't know what I am doing with Newschool yet. I'll have to play round with it or read some tuts. It seems to output the default 'patches' in loop form. It might be best for me or someone to play each one on a low BPM rendered to disk. Then with Renoise, you could use beat slicing to isolate/use the individual sounds in each loop... or use a wav editor to chop them up.

Oh, okay. Is it not possible to use the VSTs directly? If not I guess I'll just use my VM and deal with lag.
GravityGames
Newb
Newb

Postby Directionless » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:48 am

GravityGames wrote:Oh, okay. Is it not possible to use the VSTs directly? If not I guess I'll just use my VM and deal with lag.

I'm making samples. Not necessarily just for those on other platforms, but also because these VSTs are a bit unwieldy. If I participate, I'll be using samples of them as well.

Here's FLACs of all the Newschool beats. You'll want to use Renoise beatslicing or a wav editor to select/isolate the ones you want. Sorry there was no discerning one sound from another it is ALL of them.

http://directionless.mynoisebleeds.com/host/sdcompo/Newschool.zip
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Directionless » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:45 am

Here is the next set of samples - Space Drone in FLAC format - 30 seconds of each preset. [FYI 145 MBs]:

http://directionless.mynoisebleeds.com/host/sdcompo/SpaceDrone.zip

I'll see about doing Carbon2 tomorrow.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:30 am

Don't forget I already did the first 20 carbon presets:

http://www.filedropper.com/sdc-89-reaktor-carbon2-presets-1thru20
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby a-lin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:06 am

Oh, I had not seen all the rendered samples here. Here's my contribution

http://tinyurl.com/k3xnkaq

About 30 presets that I consider more musical exploitable, no drones or weird sounds that is.
a-lin
Regular
Regular

Postby Din » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Is there any way the 10MB file size limit could be stretched a little. Working with lots of ambient stereo samples several seconds long each instead of plugins is brutal on the file size. I've managed to shave things down to just over 10MB (something like 600kB over), but if I have to shoehorn Oggs into to XRNS to go down any more I probably won't bother. And I'm not quite done with my pattern tweaking, either, so the size is going to creep upwards a little more by the time I'm through.

Maybe I should look into Lua programming so I can code a 'compo compressor' tool to automate as much of that weight-loss as possible... How about an option to disable sample up-convert at save time, like a compact archive option.
Din
Newb
Newb

Postby Directionless » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Din wrote:Is there any way the 10MB file size limit could be stretched a little. Working with lots of ambient stereo samples several seconds long each instead of plugins is brutal on the file size. I've managed to shave things down to just over 10MB (something like 600kB over), but if I have to shoehorn Oggs into to XRNS to go down any more I probably won't bother. And I'm not quite done with my pattern tweaking, either, so the size is going to creep upwards a little more by the time I'm through.

Maybe I should look into Lua programming so I can code a 'compo compressor' tool to automate as much of that weight-loss as possible... How about an option to disable sample up-convert at save time, like a compact archive option.

Hey Din. I could be wrong (the site seems down right now so I can't double-check) but I think the source file limit is 20mb. It better be or else Aged an I are screwed. I know what you're saying, we could cut the file size down and trim these samples more but since we are using them as a work-around to the nonfunctional VST, it is nice to try to go for as much of the instrument's bandwidth and variation as possible.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Next

Return to Compo Talk